SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good news and bad, session 3rd Dec 2012

VigdisVZ

After my stunning AP session in Vänge with Chris yesterday I felt kinda tired, but since Jupiter was shining ever so bright when I got home from from work, I decided to bring my camera out for some quick widefields out at the fields towards the airport.

It turned out that the seeing was horrible, wispy clouds covered basicly everything, and just the brightest stars managed to peek through. Around the horizons everything was even worse with local light pollution adding to the brown sludge.

Anyway, I snapped off some disappointing wide fields. I tried to take some longer exposures of airplanes and a train passing by, but nothing really worth writing home about.

And the the bad news: My quick release for my tripod decided to quick release itself out of existance. With a faint springy sound the release lever, the spring and the screws and spacers promptly fell into the deep snow. So now I'll just probably do some DIY release for it. Not really in the mood to invest in a new one ( really need to keep reciets for other stuff than electronics ).

However, always have an exit strategy, so here comes the good news:

Out came my new 10x50 bins I barely had time to test yesterday. The haze cleared a bit right above head and after finding a somewhat acceptable excuse for focus I had a look at a stunning Jupiter with Ganymede, Europa and Callisto clearly visible. Io hiding behind the gas giant itself. They were nothing compared to what I saw in Christoffers monster newton yesterday but I was very very pleased with the clarity.

After that I spun around a bit and my bins lead me to the grand splendor of the Double Cluster in Perseus. I had seen this with my 6" earlier in the season, but I was please that I could find it by heart and it was a rewarding view through the bins.

On the other side of the sky I had a quick look at Epsilon Lyrae. Before finishing this short session I took a last look at my buddies from yesterdays imaging session, namely M45.

I didn't even bother with trying to find M31. Faint clouds and light pollution destroyed the whole of Pegasus for me.

In the end you win some you lose some. Still happy with being outside for a little while.

post-26290-0-92590700-1354562129_thumb.j

post-26290-0-16181700-1354562781_thumb.j

Hi Vigdiz

Brrrrrrr, -18 sounds pretty chilly, especially for your feet when static for long periods. Even with a really good pair of insultated boots or appres ski/moon boots I think you will suffer as the circulation will be minimal. Got to admire/respect your determination though and hopefully the cold air will give excellent clarity/stabillity once the cloud clears.

Might be worth a thought for some heated insoles though - never tied them myself! Cheap pairs available on Amazon for sub 20 Euro though think these use standard batteries and only claim to give a couple of hours heating. A more useful looking set is around 70 Euro with NiMH rechargeables - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0054U6XI4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008N76W7C&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JNF2C92TWWKWETZ4EVY

I guess if you were fairly static it might be possible to buy a cheap pair and wire them in to some decent rechargeables! Might be worth a looking for a RC Model supplier to source some reasonably priced Electric RC LIPO or NIMH cells.

Sounds pricey, but possibly better than having to come in early or risking the discomfort of chilblains or even frostbite.

Not so silly, you might be able to get both dew and insoles running of a 2 channel astrozap dew controller - http://www.firstligh...html.����Though perhaps not adviseable due to attendent risk of tripping or pulling something over with the trailing wires :(

What you really need is the auto focus/guide cams and a sufficiently long RS232 cable so you can setup the laptop in the unlimate warm room (trad. Sweedish sauna cabin). I found this one, but unsure of the precise lat/long or elevation:

sauna-in-sweden.jpg;)

On second thoughts whilst keeping you warm its probably too distracting.

I like how you think Jake. I should definetly set up in that sauna, you can automate much of the AP using computers nowadays, so distraction won't be that much of an issue.

Otherwise a gallon of Hembränt ie Home-distilled will be sure to keep the heat.

Right I'm looking at flo but can't find the above accessories on the site

Breezy - my apology the above link seems to have got a little mangled, should have read - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention.html

If it doesn't work look at the accessories tab, then pick dew prevention - two items Astrozap Dual Channel and Hightec Astro Quad Channel heater controllers.

Oh yes sorry Breezy - that was in the Warm Room Babes accessory section, Not the FLO website though! - just a tip, I definitely DON'T recommend anyone follow my example this afternoon and enter 'sweedish sauna' as a google image search. I nearly had to enforce my corporate internet/e-mail policy and start dismissal proceedings - luckily enough I managed to shutdown and slip out of the office without being noticed ;)

Archived