Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Nick82

My name is nick and I'm from Bristol, I've been interested in astronomy for a while now, reading a watching programmes so decided my Xmas presents are celestron skymaster 15x70 binos and a tripod!!!! Thought I will start at the bottom and see if I enjoy stargazing!!!!!

If I do I have promised myself that I will save up for a few months to get a nice telescope in the near future, ill be popping up asking questions from time to time, please be gentle

A warm welcome to SGL Nick

This the Ideal place for you to enhance your astronomy experience.

You have already shown you have a sensible attitude to observational astronomy, by making your first Optical aid, a pair of Binoculars.

A good choice you made too, though 15 mag. may require some support whilst viewing, as they won't be lightweight, and tired arms soon follow otherwise. :smiley:

Binos. are a superb way to introduce the Milky Ways delights to your eyes, and together with a suitable star map, many deep sky objects will be identifiable, and ready

to be explored once you have graduated to your first Telescope.

Enjoy the Forum, and any questions you have will be answered very quickly by some of the many knowlegable guys and Gals of SGL.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Hi Nick,

I have one other suggestion for you... Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas... It's fantastic and I use it all the time when I'm out with my bins... Think you can get it on Amazon at the moment for about £7 so not too expensive.

Clear skies...

Welcome to the forum :)

May I also recommend a couple of books that I personally found very useful:

Turn Left at Orion:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Turn-Left-at-Orion-Guy-Consolmagno/9780521153973

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: (similar to TLAO, but more in depth IMO)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354619004&sr=8-1

Stargazing with binoculars:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Stargazing-with-Binoculars-Robin-Scagell/9781770850439

Regards,

m12

Saying about the pocket sky atlas, I have downloaded the stargaze app on my I phone that gives me a 3-d view of the stars! Also if you click on them it gives you a bit if info, the bright star I always see from my bedroom whilst I'm led down is called Etamin, can't wait to see this through my binos ;)

Hi there Nick. As others have said, binoculars are a great way to learn the sky. You can see Jupiter's moons through it, the moon itself looks amazing and on a clear night it's a great way to see the Andromeda galaxy.

Have fun mate.

Archived