Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130P - what to carry and store it in?

I've just bought a Skywatcher 130P with an auto-tracking scope - does anyone have any recommendations for what to store/transport my scope in? I was thinking about using a large sports holdall or offshore bag (my dad works on the rigs), lined with bubble wrap and/or an old duvet.

Any suggestions or improvements on that idea? It's currently in the original cardboard box, but I want something a bit more robust and easier to lug around with me.

ive got the same setup as you and mine just sits in the corner of the living when not being used, the once i have taken it out to a dark spot, i just wrapped the tube in a blanket lol, its not the biggest of scopes so not too bad, mine has not been taken down since i got it lol

have you viewed/imaged much yet

Mine sits in its original box in a cupboard, it's pretty well sealed both ends, so no dust gets inside.

I've heard that people frequently buy a cricket bag to store them in although Teleskop Express does Geoptik storage bags for even large newts.

Anton

great stuff :) nothing better then getting to know your scope :) your be fine, and only better things to come, have you seen jupiter yet? some people have been spotting saturn the last few days but its still very low and early in the monring :(

great stuff :) nothing better then getting to know your scope :) your be fine, and only better things to come, have you seen jupiter yet? some people have been spotting saturn the last few days but its still very low and early in the monring :(

No, just the moon so far, took me ages to get everything set up, then by the time I'd spent five minutes moon watching, the clouds were over everything. And then didn't get a chance over the weekend.

I ended up using a golf bag to store and carry my scope in. It's a bag designed for carrying golf clubs in the golf bag, so it's padded and big enough to go around a full set of clubs in the bag you would carry onto the course.

Closed bag

This picture shows it closed. It zips up all the way around, and has two carry handles as well as wheels.

Open Bag

This is it opened up. The scope and tripod are wrapped in bubble wrap for extra protection, and there's also enough room for the mount and lenses and so on, although I think I'll get a flight case for that kind of stuff.

The golf bag is much lighter than the box the scope came in, and much less cumbersome, so looks like a winner!

Archived