Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Lyrated

Stellarium Android app

We i am about 2 hours from finshing work so i thought it's a great time to look for more smart phone apps.

I have found on the android store Stellarium and i was wondering if anyone has it or used it before ? If i am to get this it will join google skymap and also sky safari.

I have it on my tablet and it works well, just like the desktop version. But be aware that its not made by the same people, despite the name. And you have to pay for it, which you don't with the desktop version. However it is simple to use, works flawlessly and is just like having the desktop version on your mobile.

I believe that they will (at some point) be releasing an Android version of Stellarium, which will also be free.

I believe that they will (at some point) be releasing an Android version of Stellarium, which will also be free.

I am waiting for the free one. I am slightly ticked off at the idea of others using the Stellarium name, essentially copying the entire idea, complete with look and feel, and then charging for it. I do not know whether Stellarium code falls under the GPL, but even if the license allows copying/forking without releasing the modified code feels wrong.

I am waiting for the free one. I am slightly ticked off at the idea of others using the Stellarium name, essentially copying the entire idea, complete with look and feel, and then charging for it. I do not know whether Stellarium code falls under the GPL, but even if the license allows copying/forking without releasing the modified code feels wrong.

The paid version on Google Play store is produced by Noktua Software, which is the company setup by Fabien Chereau, who is the original man behind Stellarium. So this is a pukka official version of Stellarium. There were two unauthorised versions of Stellarium released onto Google Play but they were both taken down in June 2012 apparently. The only version available now is the version by Fabien Chereau. Which is here:

https://play.google....ware.stellarium

Its the version i have been using for a few months. Its costs peanuts and works well.

Edited by fredster
  • Like 1

The paid version on Google Play store is produced by Noktua Software, which is the company setup by Fabien Chereau, who is the original man behind Stellarium. So this is a pukka official version of Stellarium. There were two unauthorised versions of Stellarium released onto Google Play but they were both taken down in June 2012 apparently. The only version available now is the version by Fabien Chereau. Which is here:

https://play.google....ware.stellarium

Its the version i have been using for a few months. Its costs peanuts and works well.

Thanks for that clarification. I had seen earlier, unofficial attempts. If the original guy wants to sell, that makes perfect sense. The price is very reasonable

• Like 1

Thanks for that clarification. I had seen earlier, unofficial attempts. If the original guy wants to sell, that makes perfect sense. The price is very reasonable

I think its worth it. Its a decent port and i like its simplicity. You can manually move the screen around or use the giro sensor. The screen pans around very smoothly indeed. There's a red light mode to preserve night vision. Its simple to search objects and the time can be moved on easily too.

Thanks for the info i do like the desktop stella ( and the beer hehehe)

I am due a mobile upgrade in a few weeks and could be moving on to a iphone5 from a samsung galaxy s, so i guess it depends on if i get a iphone5/ gaxaxy s3 lte or a htc 8x phone.

Thanks for the info i do like the desktop stella ( and the beer hehehe)

I am due a mobile upgrade in a few weeks and could be moving on to a iphone5 from a samsung galaxy s, so i guess it depends on if i get a iphone5/ gaxaxy s3 lte or a htc 8x phone.

I have been using an HTC One X for many months now, and would never go back to an iPhone. The phone does everything an iPhone does, only better. I have seen a Galaxy SIII is use and that was a good phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 and this matches my phone perfectly as both run Android 4. Apps I run on my phone also run on the tablet, and even the paid for one will download to both for a single cost...far better that IOS 6 which is very flaky to say the least..several work colleagues upgraded to iPhone 5's and now wish they hadn't...

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone is controlling their mount via Stellarium and a Tablet, as I have just got a Motorola Xoom2 with Android and would prefer to use that rather than my old netbook.

I have just bought a Wolder MiTab - supermarket here is knocking them out for €59 (plus a bit extra for the smart little case). For that price you can´t go wrong - it would be fun to run my Synscan mount off it - but I am not a computer geek, so will watch this space.

Does anyone have any idea if stellarium will be getting released for apple? I have just looked for it but it's not there :sad:

I think I've said this before but its worth repeating. The Android version of Stellarium is not an official release from Stellarium.org (the free Stellarium software). The only other semi-offical version is one for Android devices released by the creator of Stellarium Fabien Chereau.

It's rubbish imo.....a real let down in comparison to the desktop version

For the same price £2 I'd suggest going with the basic version of Sky Safari and leave Stellarium on the PC/Laptop etc....I'm throughly disappointed in this version for mobiles.

I have the Android version and it is OK but I think a bit basic. Nothing as detailed like the PC version. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it does not even remember your settings/layout, how hard would that be to implement? Had I had an option to trial it I probably would not have bought it, not saying it is utter rubbish and not usable, just that it seems incomplete as an app.

• Like 1

I have the Android version and it is OK but I think a bit basic. Nothing as detailed like the PC version. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it does not even remember your settings/layout, how hard would that be to implement? Had I had an option to trial it I probably would not have bought it, not saying it is utter rubbish and not usable, just that it seems incomplete as an app.

That's probably more realistic and fair to the developers......incomplete!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dinglem
      So I had a free day yesterday and decided to sort out my equipment and update my astro laptop software packages. I downloaded the latest Stellarium and managed to get it to sync with APT. I installed my Xmas present from my sweetheart (Optolong L-eNhance filter) how did she know it's what I wanted??? I recently installed the free trial version of Pixinsight on my main laptop so after watching a few YouTube videos decided to get some Dark and Bias frames to create some masters ready for my next session.
      The weather was good yesterday and it stayed clear here as the sun started to set, so I set everything up outside hoping the apps were wrong and it wouldn't get cloudy. As it got darker I launched Sharpcap and completed a polar allingment, I used Stellarium and APT to slew to Vega and checked the focus was good. I then used Goto++ in APT to slew to NGC 7380 (Wizard Nebula), I set PHD2 off guiding and then I had my first issue; my laptop would not connect to my Lyn Astro dew controller so I manually set the temperature to quite low as it wasn't too damp at that time. So I started capturing 5 minute subs went inside and remoted into my astro laptop from my main laptop to check how it was going, all appeared good.
      I recently set up a Rpi NAS at home so I'm able to transfer data to it and then to my other laptop on the go, so after I'd got a few subs I opened them in PI to check the quality, they looked ok to me. after about an hour PHD2 started binging a lost star warning so I went outside and the clouds were starting to cover the sky, I then took loads of flat frames using my main laptop, Notepad and 3 sheets of white paper and decided to take some more darks in case it cleared. I then set about trying to process the 9 subs I'd managed to capture with the 200 flat frames the master bias and dark frames I'd created earlier. Despite the lack of subs I'm quite pleased with the result, I have done a quick Histogram stretch, and the knowledge I have gained, I'm definately going to purchase PI when I can afford it.
      So this morning I thought I'd sort out the issue with the connection to the Lynx Astro dew controller, you won't believe it, my Astro Laptop will not turn on, it's been playing up for a while I suspect the battery has died. So just when I thought I was getting on top of this frustrating hobby I get another spanner in the works. So do I gamble and order a new battery then discover it is the laptop that has failed, do I set up another old laptop I have and hope it will be ok, do I set up my Rpi3 with Indigo or do I buy a mini PC as I know my way around windows?
      Anyway here's the calibrated stacked image as it is in PI with a quick stretch.

• By Stargazer33
      Hi, having recently bought a mobile (cell) phone tripod adaptor, I thought I would have a go at setting up my custom landscape view in Stellarium.
      I have watched all the videos on YouTube and read all the threads on here and I think I've done everything correctly, but the custom landscape doesn't appear in the list.
      I have tried this on my laptop (running Vista SP2) and my (very old) PC (running XP SP2). Neither of these work!
      I have  included a screen shot of what I've done. I have obviously forgotten or missed something really basic, but for the life of me I can't see what.
      Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
      Thank you & a Ho, Ho, Ho! 

• By Corne de Klerk
      Hi Everyone. Hoping you can guide me in the right direction or give some advice. 
      I was given a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope as a gift and have so far managed to locate and view Jupiter with an Android app. 

I subsequently came across a youtube clip were the guy demonstrated on how to add a DSLR / mobile phone adapter to his telescope as a way to converting his budget telescope to a push / go-to by clipping his mobile phone on top of his telescope and using the star finder app, be able to locate his target and then using his finder scope.  Please note that I am not trying to Astrophotography (yet).
      However, I am unable to find any mounting clips / mobile phone adapters I can buy to add onto my telescope. Any suggestions or ideas how I can make this work? 

Below is what I mean on how I want to attach my mobile phone on top of my telescope.
      Your help will be appreciated!

AC
      South Africa

• By alexwolf
      The second bugfix release for series 0.19.
      Thank you very much to community for bug reports, feature requests and contributions!
      Full list of changes between versions 0.19.1 and 0.19.2:
      - Added support DMS and DD formats for parallactic angle feature
      - Added altitude limitation filter for AstroCalc/Graphs[AltVsTime/ME] tools
      - Added visual improvements for AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added new time intervals for AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added computation of ephemeris for all naked-eye visible planets into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added GUI for select the color of ephemeris markers into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added 2 new scripts (Saturnian and uranian analemmas)
      - Added 'k Pup' designation to star HIP 37229 (GH: #706)
      - Added information about progress of loading on splash screen (GH: #719)
      - Added a new skylore for Stellarium: Anutan
      - Added support catalog "Southern Stars embedded in nebulosity" (Van den Bergh and Herbst, 1975 - VdBH)
      - Added support "Catalogue and distances of optically visible H II regions" (Dickel+, 1969 - DWB)
      - Added distances for few LDN objects
      - Added support removing shortcuts through config.ini file (GH: #724)
      - Added extraInfoString to StelObject: Allows extra info injected by plugins or scripts.
      - Added display of Apex/Antapex points (GH: #737)
      - Added "observers" for all planets with moons (GH: #736)
      - Added IAU constellation abbreviation to object info
      - Added 3 new actions
      - Added settings for Script Console (GH: #741)
      - Added Vanuatu (Netwar) skyculture (GH: #762)
      - Added few asterisms (GH: #753, #768)
      - Added new one time step into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #758)
      - Added few new DSO textures (GH: #756, #780)
      - Added support Vec3d into scripting engine
      - Added a Messier Marathon script (GH: #771)
      - Added support for short weekday display modes in bottom toolbar
      - Added GUI option to toggle permanent orbit drawing
      - Added hyperbolic comet C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) [2I/Borisov] into default ssystem_minor.ini file
      - Added a scripting function for refraction (GH: #778)
      - Fixed coloring text issue when formatting output is on
      - Fixed saving properties for external software/remote computer in Telescope Control plugin (GH: #702)
      - Fixed behaviour of selected ephemeris marker when sorting not for date (AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool)
      - Fixed sorting date and time columns for AstroCalc/Ephemeris and AstroCalc/Phenomena tools
      - Fixed crash on destruction of static QWidget (GH: #720)
      - Fixed small difference of values issue for different time zones for Date and Time column in AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #717)
      - Fixed stupid conversion bug in hmsToRad function (GH: #716)
      - Fixed an asymmetry w.r.t. to the ecliptic latitudes (Moon age)
      - Fixed Search Tool/Lists behaviour for VdBH catalog
      - Fixed distances for few DSO (GH: #708)
      - Fixed Gregorian date issue for AstroCalc (GH: #711)
      - Fixed support GPS on macOS (GH: #712)
      - Fixed coefficient for the duration of mean tropical year
      - Fixed issue for images in description for landscapes: set search directory (GH: #735)
      - Fixed tooltip behaviour for Date and Time dialog
      - Fixed star name to its source spelling (GH: #729)
      - Fixed compiling with GPSD 3.19 [API 8.0] (GH: #733)
      - Fixed encoding script files in Script Console (GH: #742)
      - Fixed drawing names of asterisms
      - Fixed aFOV display in Oculars plugin
      - Fixed visual issue in Script Console (white background) with Qt 5.13
      - Fixed links for scripting docs (SUG)
      - Fixed screen flashing during solar eclipse (GH: #747)
      - Fixed core.resetOutput(); method behaviour (GH: #750)
      - Fixed AltGr behaviour for some languages on Windows
      - Fixed clipping issue for LabelMgr.labelObject (GH: #776)
      - Fixed weekday computation
      - Fixed rendering planets orbits (GH: #773)
      - Fixed error in shape of asterism Red-Necked Emu (GH: #769)
      - Fixed proper removing of default secondary shortcut (GH: #764)
      - Fixed cross-id error in DSO catalog
      - Updated appdata.xml file
      - Updated outdated code for names of days and months
      - Updated Observability plugin
      - Updated list of proper names of stars (IAU approved list)
      - Updated Moon age calculation: let's use geocentric coordinates only for compute of the Moon age
      - Updated AstroCalc/PC tool: simplification and colorification for graphs
      - Updated AstroCalc/Phenomena tool: small speed-up
      - Updated the default color space: StelToneReproducer now use sRGB as target RGB color space (GH: #718)
      - Updated GUI for Satellites plugin
      - Updated common names for DSO
      - Updated common names for stars
      - Updated packaging for macOS: Let's use macdeployqt for creating a MacOS bundles
      - Updated nomenclature support: Let's use compressed nomenclature data to reduce an installation package
      - Updated translations
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated Sardinian skyculture
      - Updated file handling in Script Console
      - Updated HDPI features: enabled scaling fonts on High DPI monitors (GH: #546)
      - Updated default shortcuts: changed default shortcut for copying selected object information (Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+Shift+C) to allow use Ctrl+C shortcut for text edit fields for whole planetarium (GH: #748)
      - Updated getInfoMap method [scripting engine]: enhanced the getInfoMap method for the Sun (get eclipse data; GH: #747)
      - Updated Chinese (Simplified) and Russian translations for Windows installer (GH: #755, #779)
      - Updated Bookmarks tool
      - Updated default exoplanets and pulsars catalogs
      - Updated behaviour on Windows: disable HiDPI scaling in manifest (GH: #763)
      - Updated Oculars plugin: improve RA/Dec output for CCD frame
      - Code refactoring: type checking/casting clarifications
      - Removed FOV plugin (the feature was moved into core of planetarium)
      Homepage + links to downloading binary packages: https://stellarium.org
    • By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

"Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.

Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz

Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.