SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium Android app

Lyrated

We i am about 2 hours from finshing work so i thought it's a great time to look for more smart phone apps.

I have found on the android store Stellarium and i was wondering if anyone has it or used it before ? If i am to get this it will join google skymap and also sky safari.

I have it on my tablet and it works well, just like the desktop version. But be aware that its not made by the same people, despite the name. And you have to pay for it, which you don't with the desktop version. However it is simple to use, works flawlessly and is just like having the desktop version on your mobile.

I believe that they will (at some point) be releasing an Android version of Stellarium, which will also be free.

I am waiting for the free one. I am slightly ticked off at the idea of others using the Stellarium name, essentially copying the entire idea, complete with look and feel, and then charging for it. I do not know whether Stellarium code falls under the GPL, but even if the license allows copying/forking without releasing the modified code feels wrong.

I am waiting for the free one. I am slightly ticked off at the idea of others using the Stellarium name, essentially copying the entire idea, complete with look and feel, and then charging for it. I do not know whether Stellarium code falls under the GPL, but even if the license allows copying/forking without releasing the modified code feels wrong.

The paid version on Google Play store is produced by Noktua Software, which is the company setup by Fabien Chereau, who is the original man behind Stellarium. So this is a pukka official version of Stellarium. There were two unauthorised versions of Stellarium released onto Google Play but they were both taken down in June 2012 apparently. The only version available now is the version by Fabien Chereau. Which is here:

https://play.google....ware.stellarium

Its the version i have been using for a few months. Its costs peanuts and works well.

The paid version on Google Play store is produced by Noktua Software, which is the company setup by Fabien Chereau, who is the original man behind Stellarium. So this is a pukka official version of Stellarium. There were two unauthorised versions of Stellarium released onto Google Play but they were both taken down in June 2012 apparently. The only version available now is the version by Fabien Chereau. Which is here:

https://play.google....ware.stellarium

Its the version i have been using for a few months. Its costs peanuts and works well.

Thanks for that clarification. I had seen earlier, unofficial attempts. If the original guy wants to sell, that makes perfect sense. The price is very reasonable

Thanks for that clarification. I had seen earlier, unofficial attempts. If the original guy wants to sell, that makes perfect sense. The price is very reasonable

I think its worth it. Its a decent port and i like its simplicity. You can manually move the screen around or use the giro sensor. The screen pans around very smoothly indeed. There's a red light mode to preserve night vision. Its simple to search objects and the time can be moved on easily too.

Thanks for the info i do like the desktop stella ( and the beer hehehe)

I am due a mobile upgrade in a few weeks and could be moving on to a iphone5 from a samsung galaxy s, so i guess it depends on if i get a iphone5/ gaxaxy s3 lte or a htc 8x phone.

Thanks for the info i do like the desktop stella ( and the beer hehehe)

I am due a mobile upgrade in a few weeks and could be moving on to a iphone5 from a samsung galaxy s, so i guess it depends on if i get a iphone5/ gaxaxy s3 lte or a htc 8x phone.

I have been using an HTC One X for many months now, and would never go back to an iPhone. The phone does everything an iPhone does, only better. I have seen a Galaxy SIII is use and that was a good phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 and this matches my phone perfectly as both run Android 4. Apps I run on my phone also run on the tablet, and even the paid for one will download to both for a single cost...far better that IOS 6 which is very flaky to say the least..several work colleagues upgraded to iPhone 5's and now wish they hadn't...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a Wolder MiTab - supermarket here is knocking them out for €59 (plus a bit extra for the smart little case). For that price you can´t go wrong - it would be fun to run my Synscan mount off it - but I am not a computer geek, so will watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...

It's rubbish imo.....a real let down in comparison to the desktop version

For the same price £2 I'd suggest going with the basic version of Sky Safari and leave Stellarium on the PC/Laptop etc....I'm throughly disappointed in this version for mobiles.

I have the Android version and it is OK but I think a bit basic. Nothing as detailed like the PC version. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it does not even remember your settings/layout, how hard would that be to implement? Had I had an option to trial it I probably would not have bought it, not saying it is utter rubbish and not usable, just that it seems incomplete as an app.

I have the Android version and it is OK but I think a bit basic. Nothing as detailed like the PC version. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it does not even remember your settings/layout, how hard would that be to implement? Had I had an option to trial it I probably would not have bought it, not saying it is utter rubbish and not usable, just that it seems incomplete as an app.

That's probably more realistic and fair to the developers......incomplete!!

Archived