Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How often do you observe on average.

I've not had my scope for long, but will be going out for the second time in four days tonight. I used to look around through binoculars prior though.

I have a slightly different view when it comes to the weather. Although it can be really frustrating at times, I find it stops you from burning yourself out on the hobby. The weather means I have to wait days to get out to have a look around sometimes which always teases my interest. It makes stepping outside to a beautiful clear night sky really something special.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tricky one this, proper time with my scope maybe 4 or 5 nights a month, I work nights which doesn't help, but my work involves being on farms in the middle of the sticks at night so I take my binos with me and get some sneaky observing in whilst out and about.

I get out when I can although up until recently I'm getting out much more now I've made up a grab & go scope. As lugging the NEQ6, 200P & DSLR downstairs from my flat can be a pain so I only used to set it up if it was clear sky at dusk. Now like last night as it was a cloudy start but cleared up later I can just literally grab the 80mm refractor be set up in 5 minutes & off I go for a bit of star hopping. So for the time being 3, 4 times a week weather permitting.

Not at all since my wife gave birth to bambino no.2 eight weeks ago! I've nipped out out the odd 15 mins here and there when its starry to learn new constellations and generally get better at finding my way round the sky - that's important as I'm a dob user. Hopefully in early 2013 I'll be able to wheel out the 8" a lot more often.

Do u know this thread has beeb a breath of fresh air to me. Here I was thinking I am not making enough of this hobby but u have all just confirmed my inner thoughts. Its about making the most of the quality times that matters.

I pbserve, as do u all, every single night when the skies are clear and the sun is down. Do u all not find yourself peering at the moon, jupiter or one of the other celestial bodies when you walk to your house from work, put tfe bins out, take dog for a walk etc. course u do. So most of us observe as often as we can.

Might have been betterasking How often do we observe with our scopes or other expensive gear. If I had my way, it would be 3to 4 times a week but then I would be both bankrupt and single again, llol. So we make the most of the everyday and the best of the special such as SGL8 This will be my first star party but already looking forward to it imenssly. ( pardonspells, iphone typing )

Dont question your commitment cos u aint been out for a while, the interest still smoulders within, its just real life usually comes first.....

Baz

Ay, that's just it Bomberbaz. So long as the interest 'smoulders' one ought not to question their commitment. The evening skies this week here have been spectacular in Spain but for one reason or another life just gets in the way. This week and next week it's going to be long working hours and arriving home very late and too shatered. Weekend is going to be filled with class preparation, correcting exams, sorting out the Christmas shopping and meals with my girlfriend etc. Then another week around Christmas it will be family commitments, travelling away to in laws and my own family - but does any of this matter? No, I don't think so. There's no rush when it comes to stargazing.

The other great thing is that this business doesn't have to be conducted at night. The Sun is a spectacular and fascinating object to observe, sketch and study and one needn't freeze while doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

My dob sits next to the conservatory doors, swing em both open, stick the scope in the middle and away I go, cos its in here and temp is very similar to outdoors, (we dont heat it during the coldest part of winter), there is little, if anything to cool down :laugh:

Archived