SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How often do you observe on average.

So it's totally cloudy and rainy here, wishing I could go out and see stuff. Pretty much haven't gone a night without looking at stuff since i got my scope. Just wondering what I am in for as far as the future of my hobby goes. I have an addictive personality and tend to take hobbies to extremes; weightlifting, aquariums, now telescopes etc. Just wondering how often the average forum user observes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to put a number on it; sometimes every night of the week, other times not for a month. It's a hobby that when you make time for it the weather doesn't behave and when work/life commitments don't behave it can be clear all week!

username - you really said it how it is. Tomorrow I have to do some painting on the spiral staircase I use to get to my observing area - if it is fine that is. So I can be sure it will be a glorious night when I can´t walk on the tacky paint!!

Right now it's been about once or twice a month. If the weather permitted I'd be out more often. Loading my scope in the car takes a while, but now that I have a cheap set of bins I'll probably go out for more quick sessions.

So it's totally cloudy and rainy here, wishing I could go out and see stuff. Pretty much haven't gone a night without looking at stuff since i got my scope. Just wondering what I am in for as far as the future of my hobby goes. I have an addictive personality and tend to take hobbies to extremes; weightlifting, aquariums, now telescopes etc. Just wondering how often the average forum user observes.

Hi,

When I was 11 years old my average observing was virtually EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for a pretty long time, as my home island (Sardinia) had been suffering of a bad drought for 2 years :alien: Now I have work, college, lack of sleep, chores, girlfriend, no garden (other then a small light polluted patio on the back for my refuse bins) and no car! All topped with objectionable people in the neighbourhood (So I won't attempt setting up my 200P in the nearby park space) and the king of my problems: the unreliable Irish weather.

All these issues are predicting that my next session might be months away!

So I went from 365 night sessions a year in a dry island (plus several day sessions with a white light solar filter) to about 2 / 3 sessions average a year in one of the wettest islands of the old continent :D

But I'm optimistic and I suggest myself and and you not to give up ;)

Clear Skies!

Now I have work....lack of sleep, chores, girlfriend, no garden...and no car! All topped with objectionable people in the neighbourhood (So I won't attempt setting up...in the nearby park space)

Ay, that sounds a little like my lot :grin: However, positive side is the 'generally' dry weather we get here in Spain, the neighbours of my block lending me the roof (and flat) for city observing and some fantastic deserts about 30 minutes away.

Recently the weather has been awful but I try to get out 2 or 3 times a week and the Sun is always a joy to observe each morning.

As others have said, really hard to put a number on it. This is the frustrating part of the hobby, it so weather dependent and the UK climate isn't the best for astronomy. But i think we get enough clear nights a year to keep the interest up.

When it is clear i'm out there, providing there are no other commitments.

Stick with it! Its worth it.

Hi,

Just counted up from my observing log-I was observing on 34 occasions since the beginning of 2012 up to last night. The most 'productive' month was October with 7 observing sessions. My entry for the 22nd July says a lot- "Almost a month since clear skies. It’s still rather light until quite late to observe but I thought I would record for posterity that we have had almost incessant rain and cloud since June." Yeah, never give up, I'm sticking with the hobby and looking forwards to recieving some Apollo 10x70's when the ship from China arrives. :grin:

Cheers,

Steve

As others have said, outside factors do tend to play their part, although seemingly only when it's clear - when it's cloudy nothing seems to crop up to save me from my own impatience. :rolleyes:

Taking that into account, I've logged 25 sessions since I first went out with binos at the end of March, so that's an average of 3 nights a month over 8 months. I'm hoping it will improve over the winter, but I've been thinking that the next month will be better every month since July now...

Of course, we're all replying from Europe so take our gloom with a pinch of salt ;)

Just counted up from my observing log-I was observing on 34 occasions since the beginning of 2012 up to last night. The most 'productive' month was October with 7 observing sessions.

We must have been counting our logs at the same time!

My best months were May with 6 nights and September with 7, but they're both skewed by holidays accounting for 3 of the nights from the Lakes in May, and 6 in Keffalonia in September. If I take those out the numbers are rather poorer - 16 sessions in 7 months :(

still as hobbies go, I make it £8 a night so far which isn't too bad at all :D

it seems to come in fits and starts with me. the weather in the UK is often rubbish for days or weeks on end and then great for a week which I make the most of where possible. on average it's about once maybe twice a week at most over a year

In the past year, eight sessions is the most I have had in a month, offset by June and August which were a complete blank.

I think I have managed just over forty sessions in twelve months.

I am not a big lunar observer and so don't usually go out while the Moon is spoiling the sky but recent times have been desperate, so I may well become a convert soon!

I've not been out for over a month. The weather has been so poor and on the rare clear night I've had other commitments, then there's the full moon! I had great plans for saturday then the clouds rolled in......

Dave

I didn't get out too much when I started - ony had a wee front yard with lots and lots of light polution and drunks walking past. And then "summer" was rubbish. Moved to a house with a garden now, and the weather in November at least hasn't been so bad...getting out a couple of times a week recently. Bins are great though for those 20 minute gaps in cloud when you can't be bothered to set-up the scope in case it rains.

since i got my scope, mabe 3 months go ive tried to go out 3 times a week it the whether permits, mabe more if im feelin crazy, thought i went for about a month with out being able to use it due to poor wether, and i got kinda frustrated and generlly being busy (watchin football, xbox etc) i would set it up outside before hand, but weve had quite a few breakins and robberies around my estate in the past month or so, so i dont relly want to leve it out. its not a big scope as others on here have but, is a bit of a hassle geting it in and out. dont know how others with bigger scopes manage ;)

have thought about converting my garage in to an oby, most the roof got ripped off in bad winds a while back, but the amount of spiders (shudder)

Archived