Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2

Hey everyone. Firstly thanks for all the support with the last question, I've been looking around the site and am really starting to enjoy astronomy a lot more.

I am hoping for a few reviews on the SkyWatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2 telescope, as after my research, seems to be the best telescope I am looking for. Deep sky objects used to be my main priority, but after getting out there with my DSLR and telescope, I'm appreciate everything in the night sky :]

There are two things though, firstly: does this bundle look good to get? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

And secondly, can someone explain to me why it is a EQ3-2 mount? I thought they just went up like EQ 1 - 2 - 3 ect.

Thank you! :]

Simple way to answer it is that it is a fairly standard package, the EQ5 would be more solid and stable and if you are intending the AP side it is worth considering, although the cost is greater. The EQ3-2 isn't known for a solid stable mount.

The reason why 3-2, no idea. Suspect they did a 3 then did an update pretty quick for a problem, so it was V2 of the EQ3. Would say that a straight 3 is rare as I have only read/heard of 3-2's for the last few years.

They do generall go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Finding a 4 is so rare I am not sure there is such a thing.

They did talk about a 7, but this went quiet and now there is talk of an 8. So 7's may get missed out.

You will need a T-adaptor as these are specific to the camera Nikon/Canon/Sony etc, all the Direct SLR connection means is with a standard camera T adaptor you can slide it into the focuser unit. If you are lucky it will actually manage to focus on the camera sensor.

The 150p is a great scope and people on here have imaged with them on an eq3-2 mount. ive filled the legs on mine with fine sand and that has made a hell of a difference also what im going to try next time is on the accessory tray im going to put a 2kg weight there just to stabilize that bit extra. when i got mine i got a moon filter and red torch all for £302 so at £290 that's not bad at all. If you get it get in touch i will give you a couple more tips about the scope and eyepieces if you decide upgrade.

Hi, I bought a 150P with EQ3-2 pro mount (ie with go to) , about a month ago, and I bought it from First light optics too!

Unfortunately with the weather we have been suffering I've only managed to use it four times so far!.

The goto on it is excellent- once the three star alignment is complete, whatever I've asked it to goto it has got straight in the middle of the view.

You do need a T adaptor for using a camera, this justs screws onto the barlow at one end and a camera at the other, I haven't tried to take photographs yet.

I'm very happy with the package, I've had excellent views of the ring nebula, dumbell nebula Jupiter and a few globular clusters.

The whole thing is quite heavy, to move it I take the telescope and weights off the mount and re-asssemble where I'm using it.

Be aware that if you buy the goto version you will need a power source, I bought a Skywatcher powertank- this is quite useful as it has a couple of torches built in.

I haven't used the eyepieces that came with the scope, I use Vixen NPL's (8mm, 15mm, and 30mm).

I have also added a Telrad- this makes performing the 3 star alignment (for the GOTO) much easier.

Would a SkyWatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 be a worthy upgrade?

For visual use, yes, not for imaging though. The extra weight and more importantly focal length of the 200P really stresses the mount. The 150p is a better match for the EQ3-2 than the 200p is for the EQ5.

I agree with Rik - my first scope was a 150P on EQ3-2 and it's a fine combination - there are things you can do to make it a little more stable for AP. But the 200P requires a minimum EQ5 or CG5 for visual (Heq5 for imaging). If you get an EQ5 mount then you can choose which ota you want to put on it - may be a good idea for future planning - it's generally accepted that investment in the mount comes first. :)

Archived