Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

58 frame mosaic from a 198 frame batch( 01/12/12)

MikeD

This is the first processed batch from a long night at the scope.

Lats night I attempted a high res moon mosaic in two parts, the west side of the moon first then a pier flip and then the east side( to be joined up later).

Unfortunately after running 198 x 4000 frame AVI's the moon dipped behind my house at 7.30am just as I was starting the final run that would join the two half's together :embarrassed:

below is the first 58 frames from the east side after the pier flip.

You can see the seeing dropped off quite a lot during the run.

I am going to have to try and get the joining strip of AVI,s next month at the same phase of the moon, and maybe replacement AVI's for the latter part of this run where the seeing was poor.

Not sure how that will go but I have to try.

Mike.

moon%20mosiacx58-01-12-12.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is absolutely amazing! What detail. It's a shame that you couldn't finish it off. It must have been a real downer when you realised that you couldn't complete your captures. Even so you have something there that anyone would be very proud to have produced. I hope one day to get even part way to that sort of imagery. I would take my hat off to you...if I was wearing one!

• 2 weeks later...

It's all been said really Mike, but I have to add that, thats one of the most beautiful captures of the moon ive seen in a long time!! And as a stand alone pic its a belter, cant wait to see if you get the full version, I appriecate the hours of work put into this though. I'v started dabbling in composites but was using a program called iMerge & its not very easy to getthe overlaps looking any good so iv'e now got ICE & will give it a go using that.........Well thats if we ever see the moon again clouds1.gifclouds2.gifBangHead.gif

PS Is Microsoft ice better to use than imerge??

Thank you very much.

I have always used Imerge and, I have found automated software can't handle mosaics over 50 frames.

Mike.

At the moment im only imaging with my web cam & get about 20 images, I just cant seem to get rid of shadows when overlapping in imerge. I think my problem will be down to inexperience at the momoent tho. :huh:

At the moment im only imaging with my web cam & get about 20 images, I just cant seem to get rid of shadows when overlapping in imerge. I think my problem will be down to inexperience at the momoent tho. :huh:

You need to make sure "auto brighten" is checked( view/auto brighten).

when you add a frame make sure it is slightly miss alined, then right click on a contrasting area like a creator and the frames should snap into aliment and the brightness of each adjusted to match.

I personally don't use auto brighten as I don't change the settings of the cam when the images are acquired and the brightness should match anyway.

Another way to adjust the brightness of one frame to another is too click on a frame to activate it, then while holding shift left click the mouse on the frame and draw the mouse down to darken the frame or up to lighten the frame.

Hope that helps.

mike.

Archived