Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on ccd purchase please

kev49

Hi, I am looking to buy a ccd, probably a relatively inexspensive (up to £250) one for Lunar and planetary work. Firstly, what's the difference between a colour and mono ccd, apart from the obvious? Secondly, can anyone give advice on a decent one to purchase?

Thanks.

Someone recently bought a ZW Optics camera and appear to be very pleased with it.

From reading a couple of the posts it appears that they (ZW Opt) intend bringing out a 1.2 mega pixel one soon, maybe have already for allI know. It might be worth while looking/waiting for one.

I have no idea what the expected cost is likely to be however, they seem to be relitively new to the astro camera market.

Hi Kev49 - If you are starting out on astrophotography may I suggest you getting a copy of Making Every Photo Count by Steve Richards. This explains just about all you will need to know. Also have you considered the Philips SPC900NC webcam which is a lot cheaper than a CCD for starting out, and takes decent images, Morgan Computers used to sell this flashed with nose piece and filter, its worth checking out their site. Plenty of posts on this site showing images taken with the webcam.

Dave

Archived