Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m78 i think

So i was looking for the Orion nebula, went the wrong way and saw what looked like a gold emblem pendant shaped thing. Its location is a backwards L shape off Orion's belt. Consulted the Skeye app on my phone and pretty sure it is M78. Under 56x it still just looked like a golden shining star, but the seeing was terrible.

M78 is a reflection nebula and not always so easy to detect. Certainly with the moon up at present I am not that sure you could see it with much conviction at all. With enough aperture it can be seen with direct vision, smaller aperture requires averted vision and perhaps jiggling the scope a bit.

Worth seeking out , but perhaps try and locate again, alongside M42 of course towards the next new moon. Darker skys help a lot of course to.

id be suprised if you did have m78 with poor seeing and the moon about, wouldnt look like a golden star, more of a grey patch with a couple of stars within. i cant be sure what you were seeing,maybe a star with a dewing lens/mirror ?

I definitely saw it tonight... The sky was perfect for it! Was using a 24mm Baader Hyperion 68o EP (1.25") and using averted vision... I hadn't seen the sketch above, but have just looked at it and it was definitely what I saw! Another Messier off the list... 101 to go...

Archived