SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rigel pronunctiation?

Josh Wilson

While watching Ben Hur in l'histoire today, four horses were introduced and the owner named them after stars.(Got my attention immediately). The four horses names were Antares, Aldebaran, Rigel, Altair. He pronounced all the names normally except Rigel. It was pronounced "Reegul".

I know I've always pronounced it "Rhigel". While I've also heared Betelgeuse pronounced "Bahytuhlgeese" rather than "Beetlejuice", I've never really thought of saying it the correct way because, in someone's eyes, one way seems normal while another seems odd.

But what is the correct way to pronounce it? One could make the argument that well "TomAYto, TomAAto" same thing, right? But just to get rid of some confusion, what is the correct way to pronounce Rigel?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me too, but, in this mostly historically accurate movie, the horses names are introduced by an Arabian. Arabians named most, if not all, stars in the night sky, and wouldn't they check to make this movie as accurate as possible? This movie was made back when movies were actually accurate.

Another vote for Rigel rhyming with Nigel.

There are a few funny ones as we astronomers read things but never hear them pronounced by others - I often think some of the pronunciations on Sky at Night are downright weird - but that is probably me.........

My method of sussing out names: Step 1 read word. Step 2 make up a word that sounds like it uses the right letters. Step 3 Wait for someone more with better astronomical knowledge than me (their numbers are vast) to say it and compare to my version. I am stuck with one though: Sun. I cant get past saying It as Hot or Bright.

I need to know how to pronounce Rigel too! I though it rhymed with Nigel. The other day my mrs pronounced betlegues as betlejuice, I heard an American presenter call it betlejuice but I always assumed it was betlegues as in disguise ( I hope that makes sense!!) x

Those stars were given their names by Arabian astronomers, and calculated astronomy by the Arabs emerged during medieval Islam in the 7th and 8th century CE, 674 years after the plot of the movie takes place.

Also I remember a guard saluting somewhere in the film and he's clearly wearing a wrist watch lol.

I've always pronounced Rigel as in Nigel.

If I feel like a toff, I say Bet - El - Szchooze. If not Beetle - Juice :)

I have a prob with Dubhe(in Ursa Major). I've read that it can be pronounced Doobie. But to my my mind that's a certain type of medicinal cigarette ;)

I've always pronounced it as Doo, similar to the Scots gaelic word Dubh.

:smiley:

Andy.

I have a prob with Dubhe(in Ursa Major). I've read that it can be pronounced Doobie. But to my my mind that's a certain type of medicinal cigarette ;)

That one's another linguistic pest. I always think of it as "Doob" or "Doober". I can't make up my mind which seems more correct.

Be nice to have a sticky on pronouncing star names.yhe one that gets me is plieides which i pronounce pleedees

This is a great idea :)

I've always pronounced Pleiades "plyer-dees"

but haven't a clue about Betelgeuse.........so many different ways, none sound right :(

I thought they were brothers who recorded 'Listen to the Music' ................ :grin: :grin:

I have StarryNight 6

If you search for any thing in the "Find" tab, you can right click on your results and there is a pronunciation tab

guess what, it's Rigel as in Nigel

Now this is Canadian s/w

BTW, Please dont say Beetlejucie more the two times in a row, there will only be trouble. :grin:

Archived