Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Zendrix

Another M42

Hi guys!

After seeing incredible pics of M42, feels kind of embarassing to share this, but anyway that's what i could get so far of M42 because of the full moon, cloudy nights and low skills.post-23812-0-50643400-1354288963_thumb.j

This was my first attempt at M42. It was a bit of a cloudy moon lighted night, although i could use some of the shots.

Equipment: skywatcher 130mm, EQ2, RA motor, Canon 1000D unmodded.

Frames: 44 x 20sec Lights and 10 dark frames in DSS. Post processing in fitswork and a bit of photoshop.

I know its not too much data, but 44 x 20sec... shouldnt they get a bit more info? i pushed a bit levels and curves, but couldnt do much more of it. Also i get many pictures with trails and i am guessing its not only wind but my EQ2.. i think it is very irregular, which makes the stars move its position in sequences of 5 or 6 pictures.

I am still new at this, so i appreciate any input and/or re-edit... thanks! :D

• Like 1

That's a great first effort particularly in very difficult conditions :) Well done :)

• Like 1

this is really good! Nice work and really great details as well in the picture.

Your next target should definately be the M31! Just give it a shot and post a picture no matter what outcome you get :D

• Like 1

Never be embarrased to share images, that is how we all learn. But don't know why you are emabarassed, with those conditions

a very good first effort

Well done

Velvet

• Like 1

Absolutely :) In fact that image is a lot better than my first M42 :)

• Like 1

You did better than I did with twice the data! Check out my first attempt from a couple of weeks ago with twice the data, mangled in Photoshop it is woeful. 99 x 20sec subs at ISO 800.

I'm only posting because my setup is similar to yours in that I'm also limited to 20 second subs, my mount tracks but is not guided (slightly overloaded EQ-5). You can see the edges of the stack where it drifted out and I apparently adjusted my scope by banging it with a rock.

OrionNebula17-11-12.jpg

M42 was quite low in an area of orange glow, I hadn't really bothered to let my scope cool properly, there are no darks or flats, 3 pints of Peroni, the list of faults is endless.

• Like 1

I should add that my conditions were also a lot better than yours sounded. Clear sky, no wind, little moon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great input guys!

You did better than I did with twice the data! Check out my first attempt from a couple of weeks ago with twice the data, mangled in Photoshop it is woeful. 99 x 20sec subs at ISO 800.

I'm only posting because my setup is similar to yours in that I'm also limited to 20 second subs, my mount tracks but is not guided (slightly overloaded EQ-5). You can see the edges of the stack where it drifted out and I apparently adjusted my scope by banging it with a rock.

OrionNebula17-11-12.jpg

M42 was quite low in an area of orange glow, I hadn't really bothered to let my scope cool properly, there are no darks or flats, 3 pints of Peroni, the list of faults is endless.

Andrew, i have to disagree. that is an impressive first picture! You were able to catch a great detail in the core and pinkish parts of the nebula!

Yeah, i think 20secs, maybe 30, is the stretch in can make with un unguided EQ2. I also used ISO 800 as i normally do. Apparently i am starting to see that i have a very small field of view, and for my measurements, i cannot get m42 all at once in a single picture... in which ways can you go around this problem? mosaics, i guess? you just aim your scope to the rest of the nebula? and when exactly do you fit them together? after DSS and before photoshop?

Thanks again guys! :D Cheers

• Like 1

3 pints of Peroni

now theres your problem. If it had been Hob Goblin or Black Sheep, the picture would have been epic! (although i still thinks its an amazing picture)

• Like 2

Slow down with the self criticism.

that's an impressive picture, especially for a first go!!

My first go (pushed the exposure time a bit far as I don't have guiding set up yet) ended up with 20 'subs' with trails, couldn't do a damn thing with them! If I'd ended up with what you got I'd be well chuffed!!!

Keep at it buddy

• Like 1

Here's my first M42 :D Very noisy, out of focus, star trails with no guiding and attrocious polar alignment but that was my best effort at the time. This was late February this year. I've improved a bit since then and so has my equipment :D

Orion-01.jpg

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Thkx guys! Very nice of you! :) I guess the sky is gonna be clear again tonight! :D

Thkx guys! Very nice of you! :) I guess the sky is gonna be clear again tonight! :D

thats what im banking on, time to try out my guiding gizmo's!! fingers crossed. :grin:

• Like 1

Better than my first attempts... carry on :)

• Like 1