SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders

its a good book fella. i dont often refer to tlao any longer. i dont think youd regret getting a copy spec -chum.

the book is broken up into constellations in alphabetical order. which is handy i find. a few guide images kept simple in black and white and a description of the obect ,usauly with finder-binoculars-telescope in that order. quite a thick book too,over 500 pages.

most definately a great reference book.i always have it to hand.

hth.

I huge +1 vote for IGAW.

I started off with TLAO, but ran out of targets fairly quickly (though I do still love it too :)) - Illustrated Wonders has SO many targets to go for, the information is great, really useful particularly in regards to what you can expect to see from different size scopes. I've had my copy for almost 18 months now and it is still the guide I refer to the most when out observing. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Matsey :)

I use both and they're both smashing books. Spiral binding is useful if used at a table next to the scope. IGAW's got a lot more objects but TLAO's a classic first 100 objects book. Both similar styles just different layouts and organisation of chapters. I like to flick through one or other before a session, pick and memorise a few objects, then go out and find them in the eypiece.

But because I mostly observe with a group I invariably forget everything I read and just point at what everyone else is looking at lol. Both are good to read and help your sky knowledge move along nicely - they both look good on your shelf and you can't go wrong with either or both :)

• 5 years later...
On 06/12/2012 at 17:34, Alastair Rae said:

It's a bit frustrating that the well known online tax avoider bookseller doesn't have "look inside" for this one. And the only real bookshop I've ever seen it in had it shrink-wrapped (which rather defeats the purpose of a bookshop).

A zombie post, but hopefully worthwhile - Google Books has a Preview of this fantastic book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ymt9nj_uPhwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=illustrated+guide+to+astronomical+wonders&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFx8uU4M7aAhXpKMAKHZ0KBPMQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=illustrated guide to astronomical wonders&f=false

Archived