Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Source for Pentax XW40mm?

Mike_F

Hi all,

Have been away from all things Astro for a good 18 mths or so, due to work commitments etc. On my recent return, I've found to my dismay that the Pentax XW40mm appears to have been discontinued. :-( With my C11 having such a long focal length, nice wide HQ eyepieces like that are very useful - and I was hoping to add what I thought was going to be the jewel in the crown for my existing XW collection this Xmas. Does anyone know of a supplier that still has them in stock?

Hopefully.

Mike_F.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you want a Pentax when you have the best, Televue 41mm Panopic. I too have two lens the same The Panoptic and a Meade 40mm SWA, the only reason I have the later is because no one seems to want it. Now it is my biggest dust collector but it is a very good eyepiece, shame really.

Alan.

Have you considered the Vixen LVW 42mm? Mr Spock uses that as his widest EP. I used to have a TMB Paragon which was awesome (TS clones are available, and the SW Aero is supposed to be a clone as well). I now use the Terminagler 31T5 Panzerfaust, which has almost the same true FOV (1.25deg vs 1.33 for the 40mm).

Michael,

I am not sure that is the case, I have seen info onTS's site stating the Vixen is only a 65 degree Fov, that being the case they would be the same or the Panoptic would be greater.

I know there would not be much in it.

Alan.

It is a 70 deg one (the rest of the LVW series are 65 deg) with a field stop of 47mm. Just a tad bigger than that of the Panoptic (46mm)

Why do you want a Pentax when you have the best, Televue 41mm Panopic. I too have two lens the same The Panoptic and a Meade 40mm SWA, the only reason I have the later is because no one seems to want it. Now it is my biggest dust collector but it is a very good eyepiece, shame really.

Alan.

Indeed, as Alan says, the 41mm Panoptic has almost the same FOV (only the LVW 42 is a tad bigger). I would not change a thing.

Ahh - I love and have missed this forum. :smiley: Such knowledge available, and people so readily willing to share.

Yes, I asked " 'er indoors " for the Panoptic for Xmas when trawling for an available XW40 revealed I was going to be out of luck. As she always does, she's made sure the TeleVue is already wrapped and hidden - so I've not had a chance to use it, although she did let me have a quick fondle when it arrived. (ahem!)

I can't shake the (admittedly irrational) desire to "complete" my XW stable though. I can partially rationalise it by pointing out that I find the long ER on the XWs really comfortable, and am slightly worried that I wont find the same is true of the "new boy".

Though if the Panoptic is as good as you guys say it is - maybe I'll end up selling all my XWs to replace them with even more TVs.. ! (Does it ever end?!)

Thanks chaps - I'll wait until I've had first light with the Panoptic - and take things from there.

Mike.

The Panoptic has a large eye relief at 27mm, I am sure that is enough. You could always look for a Pentax 40mm S/H they are very good eyepieces indeed, I have one. I also have many Televue's.

The only down side to the secondhand Pentax will be that you will now pay a premium rarity value, I have not seen one S/H at all.

Have fun with the Panoptic, I hope your wife has hidden some clear sky as a stocking filler.

Alan.

40 and 30 XW will be hard to find. They are quite expensive and most retailers don't keep them in stock. If you want a new one, your best chance would be trying to look for one from a Japanese dealers, otherwise you will have to wait on the used market.

Michael,

Sorry to labour the point but I have just checked 2 other sites and both say Vixen 42mm is a 65 degree FOV, it there a new Vixen out that I am not seeing the infomation on?

Alan.

It's says 72deg on my 42LVW barrel and 65 deg on my other LVWs.

Never mind the TeleVue welcoming committee :D:eek:

Welcome back! Sadly I was too slow to contribute with a supplier. I can understand the desire to complete the range, and there are surely few better than the XW? I'm sure it'd be excellent in your C11 and according to the specs it's over 200g lighter than the Panoptic.

The Pentax 40XW was discontinued some time ago (I'm not sure production was ever restarted after the Japanese tsunami and there's none that I'm aware of out there so it may be best to look second hand and try as many retailers as possible who may still have one lurking... The 30mm XW is going the same way with quantities globally now probably countable on two hands.

Damn shame - they're fantastic eyepieces :):sad:

James

Try APM Telescope in Germany

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=1063

From what I know, APM was the last dealer in Europe to run out of 5 XO. They may have some 40XW if you are lucky.

If you are desperate you can send an enquiry to this company in Hong Kong.

http://www.grandeye.com.hk/

He founded me a 5XO two months after it was discontinued and after the CN buying frenzy has bought up all the remaining stock in US and Europe. That eyepiece was expensive though, more than FLO's pre-discontinue price even before shipping and tax.

Try APM Telescope in Germany

http://www.apm-teles....html?info=1063

From what I know, APM was the last dealer in Europe to run out of 5 XO. They may have some 40XW if you are lucky.

If you are desperate you can send an enquiry to this company in Hong Kong.

http://www.grandeye.com.hk/

He founded me a 5XO two months after it was discontinued and after the CN buying frenzy has bought up all the remaining stock in US and Europe. That eyepiece was expensive though, more than FLO's pre-discontinue price even before shipping and tax.

You guys are the absolute business! Thanks, am getting in touch now.

The Pentax 40XW was discontinued some time ago (I'm not sure production was ever restarted after the Japanese tsunami and there's none that I'm aware of out there so it may be best to look second hand and try as many retailers as possible who may still have one lurking... The 30mm XW is going the same way with quantities globally now probably countable on two hands.

Damn shame - they're fantastic eyepieces :):sad:

James

Hi James, yes - you guys were the first we tried (of course! :angel: ) - it was via you we found out it was discontinued.. :sad:

I'm continuing in my quest to get one, and it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Panoptic. Which one I end up selling will probably tell all.

Just out of interest, is there a reason FLO don't stock or deal in TeleVue?

Archived