SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

so what?

Interesting question - I've seen Saturn and Jupiter loads of times but earlier in the year I got the best ever view of Saturn - just superb seeing and I was running around with excitement like a kid on Christmas Eve, I'd have never seen it like that if I'd given up thinking " well I've ssen that once"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting question raised here. I suppose there must be something to astronomy and viewing objects over and over because for most of us it is a life long passion. None of us can or will ever see everything in our lifetime,so there is always going to be something new to find and see.

We all have our own personal favourites which we visit time and time again.

Personally, i visit my favourites either at the start of a session or at the end of a session. Most of my sessions are taken up by looking for new previously unseen objects.

There are only nine planets in our solar system (YES, I still include Pluto). Only four of those show any real detail/phases. Lovely and amazing to observe,but don't spend your life observing them. There is so much more out there to observe.

The universe is jam packed with galaxies,nebulae,clusters etc........................

Step outside of our solar system and the universe is a beautiful,exciting,awe inspiring place.

Our little corner of the universe is quite boring and somewhat ugly compared to what is out there.

I don't disagree with you about the wider interest Paul but I can easily spend literally all night looking at Jupiter.

Me too. I have spent 6-7 hrs observing Jupiter and watching the Jovian moons dancing and switching position.

Jupiter and its moons are so dynamic, its a joy to observe.............and can easily take up a whole observing session.

Thanks for pointing that out and reminding me.

The best reason for anything in my books is "because you can!"

It does all depend upon the level of detail you are interested in.

i would consider a hardcore approach been, using a Dob and star hopping to find a DSO, this is not easy and takes time to learn, it greatly increases your knowledge of the sky. This is just one example, some people like to tick of targets like the Messier list, then Luna etc, all perfectly valid exercises, and repeatable.

Taking Jupiter for example, its a very active system the belts are constantly changing, there are regular ocultations to observe transits etc.

Of course you can always join the funny farm and get into imaging.........

Our little corner of the universe is quite boring and somewhat ugly compared to what is out there.

I understand the point you are trying to make Paul, but PLEASE don't say our corner of the universe is boring or ugly no matter what you are comparing it to. :sad:

after all, you wouldn't be staring at jupiter for 6 hrs if it was ugly would you?

edit: tongue firmly in cheek

Scott

I guess, if your seriously interested in astronomy, you keep going back to regular objects, trying to tease more detail from them.

For example with Jupiter, the great red spot can be hard to locate, due to seeing conditions, or other reasons, so you keep trying to see more of an object

Agreed.

I've been looking at Jupiter for years, always yearning for the views I got through a 16" SCT I looked through a long time ago. I keep going back - sometimes dissatisfied but not often.

Then this week, I almost got it! The GRS from my own back garden! And detail in the GRS.

And I'll keep looking. Just in case....

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Jupiter is very dynamic and it's surface/atmosphere changes, these changes may be subtle but are still worth observing, the bands can change colour or as happened recently a band disappeared altogether ( at least it appeared to) . Recently the aftermath of impacts have been observed, so there is always something we hope to see.

http://io9.com/5942203/jupiter-may-have-just-saved-earth-from-a-devastating-impact-event

The sun is probably the best example of a dynamic observable object. Flares, sun spots etc are very exciting to see and each can be very different from the last.

So in answer to your question I guess what keeps me going back is the uncertainty of what I may or may not see, the mystery of it all, the fact that in some instances the light of the objects we observe began the journey to my eye before there were dinosaurs on this planet. In short astronomy is just mind blowing..

I think that question can be put to anything, once you've watched a film, why do you watch it again? For me it just amazes me anytime i see Jupiter, or any object in the sky. Ive seen the double double a few times now, always looks the same when i see it, but it doesnt mean i wont look at it again.

im still a newbie to this hobby, but i re-visit Jupiter, our Moon, pleiades, and a few other Messier objects alot. Even though i have seen some objects quite a few times, for me its like visiting old freinds, and when they dissapear until next year i really look forwrd to seeing them again in the following season. Not only do i like to see them i also like to think about what i am actually seeing and the distances involved. There are big "wow" moments for me just spending time on one object and thinking about them. Also almost every time i observe i see a satelite whizz past the field of view which always makes me smile. Andromeda always gets a visit from me when available and the wow for me is the size of the galaxy and the distance.

I know that in the winter months it is hard to get motivated to go and get set up in sub zero temperatures, but for me if i wrap up warm i can spend hours out there, even in my back garden under light polluted skies.

I also like to find new objects for the first time and "tick them off the list" the hercules cluster and M3 were big wow moments for me and also the beehive cluster M44 were wow moments for me and get visted when ever they are around weather permmiting.

Like dark knight says i think for me also the thing that keeps me coming back is the mystery of it all, and the beauty of these distant objects. Im filled with a sense of discovery and knowlegde, i think thats what i like most about this hobby.

I haven't shown anyone yet but the thing that makes me keep going to Jupiter (only seen it 6 times. With detail twice) is how it changes throughout the days and how much the viewing quality changes. It's just seeing if I can see more detail next time, or any other changes that may happen.

Also for me, it's just the amazement of seeing something so far away from our back yard with a £280 piece of equipment. It really is something amazing and for the fact that a lot of people haven't seen something I have it just fascinates me no end.

Thanks.

Tom.

Archived