Doublet vs triplet refractor for imaging?

Keener_7

I'm a little reluctant to ask because I'm not exactly sure when I will actually get around to purchasing an imaging setup. But I'm just wondering, is spending say an extra $200 CAD on a triplet worth it? When I do get around to buying I want something that will last me for a long time.

The two scopes that I am currently looking at are;

http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/zenithstar80ed_features.php

and;

http://explorescientific.com/telescopes/80mm_ed_apo.html

suggestions and comments please.

the triplet is the better option but depends on you budget, looking at the price of that triplet i wonder if they deliver to the uk :evil: but both take great widefield images and the fast so with a reducer they would be even better

There are doublets which are certainly not well enough corrected for imaging and doublets which are. It's not worth deciding in advance what they two optics can do because it is over-ruled by the specifics of particular models. I'd snap up a used TV85 doublet, for instance, if you want a keeper. TV are built to last. Likewise Takahashi, though personally I wouldn't go for a Sky 90 because it is not all that well corrected in the blue.

All refractors need a rear element in order to give a large flat field. This means either quadruplet or field flattener.

Olly

Not that I am an expert by any means. But I am continuing to invest in my ED80 which is a doublet - it is cost effective and superb. More than good enough to begin your AP career on.

My 2penneth.

Quite right. It's a giant killer of a scope.

Olly

Thanks for your replies. The Tak's and TV's are over budget for me at the moment (or my wife's anyway). I would get a SW ED80 as I see many are getting excellent results with those, but they seem to be a little hard to find over here(Unless you want to pay a bunch for shipping). In the end I will probably wind up getting the Explore Scientific, it seems to be getting good reviews. But I'm getting ahead of myself again. First on the list is a good mount, then I will take it from there. In the meantime I will just stay on the look out for a good second hand deal.

Archived