Canon DSLR....... AP but any cheap?

garethmob

hey guys

i was wondering if any one knew of any deals or sales going for canon dslrs at present. i found a 1100d pretty good but i was wondering if any of the 3 digit ones new were going good. id prefer a new one too as its my first "new" thing

any suggestions are welcome :) i was thinking of either

1100d

550d

600d

650d

or if at a good price a 2 figired D model

Canon refurb store on ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet

The Canon numbering system is simple and is loosely:

4 x digits - budget range consumer cameras

3 x digits - higher spec than 4 x digits but still a consumer cameras

2 x digits - higher spec again with improved mechanical build quality and features

1 x digits - pro range with weatherproofed bodies made from magnesium alloys. Higher specwith faster frame rates etc

but heres a question. i have found a referb 1100d for £190...... and a 550 for say £350 (with 18X55 islens) if i added a nifty fifty (around 80ish) would it be better to have the 1100 for 270 or the 550 with 2 lens for £430? which borders on the second hand 600ds price

but heres a question. i have found a referb 1100d for £190...... and a 550 for say £350 (with 18X55 islens) if i added a nifty fifty (around 80ish) would it be better to have the 1100 for 270 or the 550 with 2 lens for £430? which borders on the second hand 600ds price

in terms of absolute image quality the glassware is the key component. Cheap glassware on the most expensive body you can buy will still produce poor images, but put high quality glass on a cheap body you will get a good quality image. So looking long term I would go for the nifty fifty on the 1100d which should retain some second hand value when you want to upgrade. The 18-55mm lens is built down to a budget and imo is really a poor lens but some people will say they get good results from it but there is good and then there is Good

iv got the non IS 18X55 and it was shocking quailty and i found the zoom always seems to slip which after focusing for an hour and it slips..........., to the point iv gone to m42 prime lens which were expensive in their time, but no longer and these give cracking shots. but iv hered good things about that 50mm and i only enjoy widefield views with imaging :)

Jessops have deals on at the moment, Im looking at getting a new DSLR. Canon are also offering cashback aswell at the momnet.

I was really happy with the results from my 500D, and i found the menus easier to work on the 500D vs the 1000D, not sure if it has changed from the 1000D to 1100D. It also worked really well at AP, a really good response to the Ha Unmodded....

Just as an example

7989555824_890149c3f8_z.jpg

Pacman Nebula NGC281-3hr50-min by keiran_bernstein, on Flickr

Im still undecided, but its somewhere between 600D 650D and the 60D. Im slightly put off by the 60D as it is heavier and bigger than the others so it will add weight to my setup and focuser.

1100D is 495g

650D is 575g

60D is 755g

I think your best bet will be to get out to a jessops, and have a play with a couple of them, see what you think of them, and if you find it cheaper elsewhere buy it there. Atleast then you kind of know what your getting. I think you will be very impressed with ay of the modern canon DSLR's

thanks keiran :) that is really good advice, iv been doing that for a while in my local pcworld ect, usally untill a few shop assisstants start to pester me so i leave. in my local comets theres a 1100d for £250 with lens, but its the display model which if every one has been doing what i do god knows what shutter number its up to!

but i think im going to be very very supprised with modern canon DSLRs as even though i love my 300d its one of the weaker points of my rig which does give me problems most lights (battery lasting 20 - 30 frames for example) and lack of live view so frustration of focusing

When you image AP, most of your shots will be around 1600iso/800iso or what ever you use. Take your sd card with you, and take a range of shots on different cameras, using the same lens, and then compare them when you get home, that may also help you decide, you may / may not see enought of a difference to sway your mind.

My daughter just saved up enough paper round cash to buy her first DSLR - not bad at 15 but I digress. Not for astro use but we are managing to interest her in the dark side! We were told that the 1100D would be 'up to date' longer as Canon regularly upgrade or improve the 00's and 0's but so the base model. Shes thrilled with it so far.

Kate

Archived