Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taming of the big C11 Last M27 Promise

CELESCOPE

:D :lol:much happier tonight ,although what weather dripping water damp as heck , but a clear spell came so i took the advantage of getting to grips with imaging with the C11 and guiding .last effort my first was a disaster, but thanks to Dave,!CENTROID, Steve (Steffenwolf) BERN,and Steve L. all gave me some adjustments to make , and it paid of.

I feel pleased that i have made some headway , as the big beast is not the easiest to get right, this i done just 10x4 min subs CLS used , cloud finished a short session, but no tinkling with the stars ,just touched curves a bit and thats it , my focus was out a touch, thats due to me being in a rush to beat the clouds , so thats my last M27, will start some serious suff hopefully next time out

Rog

1713_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice round stars after 4 mins = well guided.

So, I reckon you've now got the guiding bit 'sussed', and the only thing that will govern your exposure times now, is the size of the holes in the cloud, and the degree of light pollution at your location. :lol:

Now we can get to see what that C11 can produce, with the camera running at full resolution :thumbup:

BTW, how did you manage a bit of clear sky tonight, when all I've had is cloud :D

Dave

Glad to hear the progress is a big positive Rog. Nice also to hear of the cooperation and help by the other guys, A very good example of what makes SGL the place it is.

It's been a fairly long journey to get there Rog. but it seems you are almost there now.

Best wishes. so go baby go.

Ron. :D

Looking forward to the 20 minute unbinned prime focus stuff Rog. :D

The guiding looks seriously good, plenty good enough for unbinned with the 6.3 in there, let it rip Rog, let's see what Big Bertha can do. I'm sure that even some test shots would be impressive with your kit.

Oh, and what Ron said too. Go Baby Go!!!! :lol:

Kaptain Klevtsov

thanks everyone , lol yes Dave you are right there , its not often i get a long enough clear spells even at the best of times , i think my limit would be 8 mins to be honest , just to much traffic around here , would hate to loose 10 min or 15 min subs ,and after all big bertha has the light grasp to get most stuff in 5 or 8 min subs, look foward thought to imaging again with the ED80 , wide field , i still love that .

Rog

Realistically, 10 mins is probably about the best you can get in the UK, before light pollution starts to intrude.

Also, given number of frames that I have to 'write off' due to satellite trails, a 10 min frame is more than enough to loose :D

Dave

Realistically, 10 mins is probably about the best you can get in the UK, before light pollution starts to intrude.

Also, given number of frames that I have to 'write off' due to satellite trails, a 10 min frame is more than enough to loose :D

Dave

Ways round it Dave. If you do narrow band imaging, then light pollution goes away almost totally. Maxim's median combine gets rid of the trails very well too. Stuff like M1 comes out awesome if you can go really deep on the emission lines.

Check out Richard Crisp's website on narrow band imaging, its inspirational if you have light pollution and are into imaging.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Also, given number of frames that I have to 'write off' due to satellite trails, a 10 min frame is more than enough to loose :lol:

Dave

Ways round it Dave. If you do narrow band imaging, then light pollution goes away almost totally. Maxim's median combine gets rid of the trails very well too. Stuff like M1 comes out awesome if you can go really deep on the emission lines.

Check out Richard Crisp's website on narrow band imaging, its inspirational if you have light pollution and are into imaging.

Kaptain Klevtsov

That's alright for you mono guys, but not so good (not impossible) for us 'single shot' colour merchants :lol:

Does it get rid of the satelltite trails, and 747 landing lights too? :D

Dave

Changes made , in PHD , were RA 85

CALIBRATION STEP (MS) 1300, through the Equinox ED80.

1 SEC EXPOSURE GUIDE, LIGHTEN SCREEN TO SHOW GUIDE STARS EASY

0.75 GUIDE SPEED IN EQ6.

Thats about it really

Oh forgot , a very fussy balance of the RA and DEC,

Semms to have sorted it 99%

Rog

That's alright for you mono guys, but not so good (not impossible) for us 'single shot' colour merchants :lol:

Does it get rid of the satelltite trails, and 747 landing lights too? :D

Dave

The reason for mono and emission line imaging is because you don't need to worry about light pollution. The filters take it all away and leave you some nice unmolested data. I don't do much DSLR imaging because it all turns orange most of the time. Stick an Ha filter on a mono camera and you can go as deep as you like, with a full moon, with the shed lights on, and more importantly, with the street light on.

It's a way round a problem which some of us have with street lights. Without street lighting, I'd still be at it with the Nikon.

WRT landing lights and satellite trails, yes, it almost gets rid of them totally.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Well done Rog,

Looking forward to M1 being given the same treatment.

Glad to see the guiding success. I find that balance is critical for longer exposures. It is also much easier to get right than myriad software settings!

Anthony

Archived