SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telrad advice.

At the moment im using the stock red dot finder on my new scope (See below) Its' perfectly adequate for lining up Jupiter, M42, M31 & the visible by eye stars, but on the fainter fuzzies such as M57 it's a case of point it in the general direction & pray :grin: My girlfriend downloaded some maps for me the other day to help but they're Telrad maps & altho helpful, I dont have a telrad! Are they worth it & would it make finding objects as easy as I've heard? Thanks.

Yes - absolutely - makes it very simple to get yourself in the right ballpark - then with a low power e.p. you should be able to easily find your target.

Incidentally, I noticed there was a 2nd hand telrad on ABS yesterday - if you're quick it may still be there.

Yes - absolutely - makes it very simple to get yourself in the right ballpark - then with a low power e.p. you should be able to easily find your target.

Incidentally, I noticed there was a 2nd hand telrad on ABS yesterday - if you're quick it may still be there.

Thanks Jim, i'll have a look. :smiley:

I've ended up buying a new one from Telescope house (FLO had run out), there was no photo of the ued one & I've been burned a couple of times buying second hand, altho I have heard that the 2nd hand market for astronomy is pretty good as most people tend to look after their kit very well!! Looking 4ward to getting VERY much now :grin:

You won't be disappointed the best bit of kit I bought in my early days.

BTW when coming to fix the Telrad to your scope fit it temporarily first using either cables ties or masking tape until you get it in the position that works for you.

+1 for the Telrad and when later combined with a right angled optical finder , you will have the ultimate finder combo that will allow you to find any object a lot quicker. The key with the Telrad is that it uses two concentric red rings that when used with the Telrad maps, really do help you gauge distances when at the eyepiece. Telrads are certainly not the prettiest finder out there, looking more like a prewar 4 1/2 ltr Bentley a guinea pig might drive but it certainly does the job! :grin:

Clear skies

James

I made do with the Big C's red dot "finder" until the battery gave up and I got a Telrad. What a difference! Even the simple things... framing alignment stars in the inner circle is so much easier than playing hide and seek with the rdf :cool:

Next I might get an actual finder scope to supplement...the LP here makes it hard to find anything other than bright stars (or planets) without magnification, so it'd be neat to have an intermediate given my scope's narrow FOV :D

I make my own, the telrad is a great piece of kit, but I find the inner circle is better as a dot, then a 2 and 4 degree circle, its less intrusive on the faints.

I can also dim each ring seperatlely.

But don't get me wrong the telrad would/is a great thing, and will allow you to find things easily.

Put it this way, I've got a Telrad and if my finderscope suddenly stopped working for whatever reason, I wouldn't be bothered.

Proof of concept: I had 3 hours outside with my scope last night and it wasn't until I was packing up and was just about to put the lens covers back on the finder that I noticed I'd not even taken them off...

:D

I recently bought a Telrad, you'll be dissapointed with its appearance - think of a rectangular peice of plastic with a bit of glass, and youll think, i paid £35 for this? - BUT.. It is brilliant. Really helped me with finding DSOs. Ive found as well that i can go back to some without using the Telrad again, as i know the position of them relevant to surrounding stars.

+1 for the Telrad and when later combined with a right angled optical finder , you will have the ultimate finder combo that will allow you to find any object a lot quicker. The key with the Telrad is that it uses two concentric red rings that when used with the Telrad maps, really do help you gauge distances when at the eyepiece. Telrads are certainly not the prettiest finder out there, looking more like a prewar 4 1/2 ltr Bentley a guinea pig might drive but it certainly does the job! :grin:

Clear skies

James

Haha, I kind of like the look of them in a strange way :smiley: makes the scope look a little '1950's sci-fi esq' :grin:

I've ended up buying a new one from Telescope house (FLO had run out), there was no photo of the ued one & I've been burned a couple of times buying second hand, altho I have heard that the 2nd hand market for astronomy is pretty good as most people tend to look after their kit very well!! Looking 4ward to getting VERY much now :grin:

I can certainly vouch for Mike who's selling the Telrad. I am lost without a Telrad but could live without my RACI finder. that said, I prefer using both as I have telescopes with longer focal lengths.

Hi folks, I managed to spot the Telrad risers on FLO :icon_redface:

I wondered which others though would be most suitable, the 2" or 4" riser. I have the Telrad at the top (sky) end of the tube on my 200P. Thanks. CW

i got the 4 inch for my 200p. i thought the higher it is the less bending. in truth you still have to bend and contort a little but i find it easier than when it was simply stuck to the ota alone.

how much difference the 2" to 4" makes,i couldnt say.

Archived