when do you stop being a beginner ?

leemanley

That's two different questions really:

when do you stop being a beginner?

Difficult to say, but probably when you have a good grasp of most of the basic princples, and a reasonable amount of practical experience? More important is probably the realisation that you never stop learning.

Which category would an image like this fit in, Beginner, intermediate, pro ?

I'm not qualified to say, but it's a nice image. :smiley:

Liking the image, as for when you leave the ranks of a beginner then surely only you can say when, once when you have reached your orginal aim and what to take it to the next stage then you are no longer a beginner?!

nothing controversial meant by the post, just after a general idea of folks perceptions of what is ok, great or wow !

Never a better saying that, 'You never stop learning'

That's very true !!!

Is there a governing body that could give us marks out of ten ?

That'll help !

I'm in your camp Jim. Everytime I process an image and think its good, I look on here and someone has posted the same image only ten times better. So I archive the image and vow to do better next time . I am a beginner, and shall be for as long as it takes to not be a beginner.

As for pro...., what is a pro?

If you do astro imaging as a full time job and earn a living selling your photographs, then you might regard yourself as a pro. What is a pro image? its all a matter of perception and personal taste.

no such thing as a beginner once you have taken you first picture then you have already began. so then you join the intermediate and im happy with being at the intermediate stage and capturing an image of something so far away (good or bad) it still amazes me.

i do try do to better and sometimes i will most times i wont but its great fun.

when there aint no clouds in the way.

The forum title states 'Getting Started with Imaging' - which isn't a forum to post images from beginners, but to provide support FOR people who are starting out in photon collection & processing.

When I look at astro images I am not interested in the 'professional' level of the author.

We just love our little pigeonholes....:D

The image I took was a single shot at prime focus.

Getting a nice clear image of the moon is a pretty easy task, being lucky enough to have the set-up I own, however, getting a decent capture of say, M42, is quite a long drawn out, often fruitless saga, tracking/stacking, focussing errors etc.....

Maybe a better term for beginner should probably be ' learner', you could well find yourself in this bracket for most of your imaging life, what with all the new toys that come available !

I am happy with a lot of the stuff I have achieved over the last 2 years - none of it will ever see a magazine page ! - but get a lot from sharing it with friends and family who are really interested in what is up there.

Anyway, the moons just about to pop out so I'll slip me 'L' plates on and nip out for half hour to see what I can get !

I do a lot of (non-astro) photography. The more I do, the less happy I get with the results. As Socrates said 'The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.' So the more I learn, the more faults I find in my work.

Very true Alastair, the better you get, the faster your expectations rise :smiley:

Archived