SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter with the full moon?

Sammyb

Hello all

It looks like it will be clear here tonight. I was going to have another go at imaging Jupiter but I wondered if its proximity to the full moon would have a detrimental effect?

Please let me know what you think.

Sam

Phew! Thats great! I've had only a couple of good opportunities to image jupiter this year and one of those was really poor seeing. It looks like I might have tonight and tomorrow night clear so I'm glad I should still be able to have a good attempt at imaging.

I'd go for it. In fact, if the promised clear night turns up (not looking entirely likely right now) I shall do just that. With Jupiter so close to the Moon longer focal lengths and narrower fields of view will probably be heavily favoured, but there's only one way to find out :)

James

James F you really know your stuff. :icon_salut: I always enjoy your posts and usually learn something new every time.

I was looking a Jupiter tonight wishing I had better imaging equipment...later I guess. :grin:

Is there any way to use a dew shield to mask the brightness of the moon to some degree?

Is there any way to use a dew shield to mask the brightness of the moon to some degree?

I think you'd need a very long dew shield :)

It's hard to predict how any given setup will perform when the target is so close to the moon, so I'd always recommend people go out and have a try at it. Either way, at the end of the night you'll know more than when you started :)

I'm sure I recall seeing quite decent images of Jupiter taken during daylight, but that may have been with a Mak or SCT which makes it much easier to narrow the field of view to something quite small.

James

With my SCT I regularly look down the tube with my head torch on to check if the corrector is misting up, I have never once had this show up in the camera's view as the FOV on the camera sensor is tiny.

That could be very nasty if it accidentally went off at the time.

James

I had a go last night with my Celestron 9.25" SCT; there was definitely a contrast loss with the moon so close, but not a ridiculous amount. The rotten seeing was more detrimental. But, at least I caught Ganymede's shadow. Will see if there's any process-worthy data there later.

Archived