Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora pics from last week

As they turned out quite good I thought I'd post some pics from 2 auroral displays I saw last week. Both were taken looking north across Thurso Bay.

Part of a really dynamic display on Tuesday 20th Nov........

AuroraOverThursoBay_20thNov12_GPM.jpg

A 3 image panorama taken on the early hours of Saturday 24th Nov......

AuroraPanoramaGPM_23_24thNov2012_ThursoBay_0230UT.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more displays like these over the coming months :smiley:

Great shots Gordon,i noticed the display brightened almost as soon as i got home,had a look through the patio doors and could see a bit of dancing going on

but by this time i had my feet on top of a hot water bottle so i wasnt going anywhere.

Thank you all - glad you like the photos. The period around solar maximum activity really is a great time to be in the north of Scotland :-)

Nice shots Gordon, keep them coming I know you have more :).

You're right - I did get a bit carried away for 30-40 minutes on the 20th and took a lot of photos, but with it changing shape and colour so rapidly most of the pics are quite different. Here's 2 more from that amazing half hour just for you Maciek.....

AuroralRaysOverScrabster_20thNov12_1934UT_small.jpg

AuroraOverThursoBay_20thNov12_1939UTsmall.jpg

Great shots Gordon,i noticed the display brightened almost as soon as i got home,had a look through the patio doors and could see a bit of dancing going on

but by this time i had my feet on top of a hot water bottle so i wasnt going anywhere.

I hope your feet have now thawed out Stewart. That brightening on the 24th enticed me back out under the stars, but other than a few good minutes now and again, the display merely teased with the promise of better things.

I did get the time at the end to take some star trails though. I had the ISO quite high as I was trying to get a sequence of shots showing the Milky Way above the aurora for putting into a timelapse once I get some hints and tips from Maciek's Timelapse talk next month. As a result the star trails image is somewhat "full" of stars.......

CelestialWhirlpool_small.jpg

It's a little overcrowded for my taste, but it does generate a good whirlpool effect.

Archived