Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginners' observing Poll

Mr Q

Beginners' First Targets  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What objects (season permiting) should the beginner observer choose for the easiest and most "wow" effect?

• Moon
    • Inner planets
    • Open clusters
    • Nebulae
    • Globular clusters
    • Planetary nebulae
    • Double or multiple stars
    • Galaxies
    • Asteroids
    • Maned space objects in orbit

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The moon is very obvious, but it's sort of too easy in a way. For me Saturn was awesome and takes a little more understanding and involvement, just enough to get you going with a definite "wow" even in a 3 incher. Even "wow"ier was Jupiter and its moons, still find it amazing now.

I guess what I mean, is any punk can point a scope at the moon, but it's once you move onto the next thing that you really feel like an astronomer ;)

I'd have to go for the moon, and then Jupiter. The moon just has so much detail through a telescope. I actually looked at Jupiter last night (first clear night in a while!), and seeing it resolve from a speck of light near the moon to a small sphere with bands (along with its moons) was fantastic - I sat and just looked at it for ages!

Tim.

The moon is very obvious, but it's sort of too easy in a way. For me Saturn was awesome and takes a little more understanding and involvement, just enough to get you going with a definite "wow" even in a 3 incher. Even "wow"ier was Jupiter and its moons, still find it amazing now.

I guess what I mean, is any punk can point a scope at the moon, but it's once you move onto the next thing that you really feel like an astronomer ;)

It was a toss up between Moon and Planets for me but i have to agree with you. There is a great deal of satisfaction for a beginner when lining up Jupiter and Saturn in the eyepiece.

When giving friends and family the tour, given the right conditions i used to start with the Moon then move to either Jupiter or Saturn and watch their response..... for the rest of the evening they would be talking about the rings around Saturn or Jupiter and its moons nearly every time!

I think the thing most people look at when they first get a scope is the Moon, just because its big, bright and easy to find lol. I think the planets are the real showstoppers, well Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn for me was my first big wow moment. I remember having to watch Match of the Day AND The Football League Show, because Saturn hadnt cleared the houses yet. After that, i've pretty much always gone out whenever its clear.

Biggest wow factor I got through my first telescope was The Great Nebula in Orion. Admittedly I gave myself a bit of a head start by buying an 8" SCT, but this nebula still looks great through any decent binoculars. I voted for Planetary Nebulae.

The Moon is interesting, the inner planets stunning, Andromeda Galaxy impressive, but the nebulae are mysterious, elusive, fascinating, and to be able to see one so brilliantly as the one in Orion is one of the best and also easiest sights in the night sky for binoculars or telescope.

It's got to be the moon - you will have been looking at it on and off for your whole life but until you've seen it through binoculars or a telescope you have no idea how detailed and beautiful it is - and as Foundaplanet says at times it's as if you are there and you can reach out and it.

I would say Jupiter/Saturn, but there's not option for them.

I voted moon, but my initial thought was Jupiter or Saturn, and as above found no option for that.

I think each to their own, but I think the moon can be a great place to start because it's easy to find, and if you've only ever looked at it with the naked eye, it is amazing how much more you can see, and how impressive it is when you can see that it is actually a 3D object with mountains, and craters poking up, rather than the 2D disc you see with the naked eye.

I voted moon as it is the easiest thing to find for a beginner and seeing the surface close up is a nice experience.

As for the biggest wow factor, I'd say Saturn but its harder to find for a beginner than the moon :grin:

Archived