SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Torch for night work with filter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-E49PC-TacTikka-Plus-Headlamp/dp/B0007Q3R3O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1354015978&sr=8-7

Ok was just browsing for a filter and then found this instead. Just wondered if anyone has one or has any thoughts on this before I buy. Its the fact you can use it to set up with hands free with white light, flip down the filter and you have red but also has three settings for the lamp so you can adjust it to the conditions.

Not sure though about it being right above your eyes so has anyone got one or got any thoughts on it?

I'd go for a cheaper one and paint it with nail varnish leaving more money for more important stuff :)

Personally I use deep purple plastic (cellophane type stuff) which you can get from an art shop and have it taped over my headlamp and a torch in a couple of layers. I just find it better than red.

Maplin have a cracking little aluminium torch for about £2 that has 3 LEDs and runs off 3xAAA batteries. Totally waterproof at atmospheric pressure and you can do the nail varnish trick (or replace the LEDs with red ones).

I bought mine from China via ebay. Was about £3 I think.

It's the one with the red plastic flip. Works great!

Or there's this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3W-LED-1Red-LED-Flashlight-Head-Torch-Headlight-Mini-Headlamp-WST-/281027937404?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item416e92047c for £1.48 with free delivery!

• 2 weeks later...

I use THIS head torch, it's a tad bright, but much cheaper. The one you linked to should work, but it's a lot more expensive than most.

Stu. I had to take this back and exchange it for another of the same model. When it got cold, the light came on by itself. Argos were very good though and exchanged it even though I had taken it out of packaging and had no valid receipt. (the mrs rips em up and then chucks them into recycle, she is OCD with anything potentially security wise) I had the bottom half of the reciept only, lol.

Anyway, have you had any issues with yours or have I just been a little unlucky?

baz

I was out the other night with mine and it was fine. The scope was white with frost so I presume it was cold enough to cause the problems you are talking about?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I was out the other night with mine and it was fine. The scope was white with frost so I presume it was cold enough to cause the problems you are talking about?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

i was obviously just unlucky then :rolleyes:

Archived