Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pub quiz anger

earth titan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously confused with Bernard Lovell, who commanded Apollo 13.

It was Jim Lovell on Apollo 13, Bernard was the Jodrell Bank chap. Too many Lovells & Lowells knocking about in this field :smile:

The other problem was that Percival Lowell died in 1916 so it would have been pretty impressive for him to have discovered Pluto :smile:. The honour goes to Clyde Tombaugh, who used Lowell's observatory (which is where the confusion presumably came in).

The pub quiz I used to frequent got us with the "how many planets are there in the solar system" one. I said 8. The "correct" answer was 9. No matter how much I argued that the "correct" answer is either 8 or "lots" (don't know the exact number, but you'd have to include all the minor planets), but could not actually be 9, they just wouldn't have it.

Going back to the subject of being pedantic slightly - my 3 year old son was asked at nursery the other day "how many legs does an octopus have?" He answered that an octopus doesn't have legs, it has tentacles. Even though he did not know the number he got a star sticker for being cleverer than the adult who was supposed to be teaching him!

If only your pub quiz masters could be so graceful in defeat.......

It was Jim Lovell on Apollo 13, Bernard was the Jodrell Bank chap. Too many Lovells & Lowells knocking about in this field :smile:

It was a joke - albeit not a very good one. Reminds me of a disagreement I had once with a fellow team member in a pub quiz who didn't lke my answer of "Frank Borman" to the question "who was the commander of the Apollo8 Mission in 1968?". He wouldn't have it that Frank Borman was anyone other than Hitler's deputy in the 3rd Reich ! Bernard (sorry ... Jim) Lovell was of course also a member of the Apollo 8 crew.

It was a joke - albeit not a very good one. Reminds me of a disagreement I had once with a fellow team member in a pub quiz who didn't lke my answer of "Frank Borman" to the question "who was the commander of the Apollo8 Mission in 1968?". He wouldn't have it that Frank Borman was anyone other than Hitler's deputy in the 3rd Reich ! Bernard (sorry ... Jim) Lovell was of course also a member of the Apollo 8 crew.

Sorry - I was wondering if you were being humourous :smile:, it's difficult to be absolutely sure one way or the other in the absence of body language.

Forgot he was also on Apollo 8, together with commander Martin :grin:

Archived