Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

earth titan

Pub quiz anger

Aaaagh, the inadequately researched pub quiz.

Just like two other questions I have suffered - "what's the smallest planet?" or "what is the outer-most planet?"

"Well that depends on when your Junior Encyclopedia of Space was published!" is the only correct answer.

Grrrrrr! :grin:

The outermost known is Sedna and the smallest, well that depends on how far you go, but the smallest current accepted Dwarf Planet is MakeMake...although Heaumea is the strangest.

If you stick to the major planets it will be Mercury and Neptune respectively.

So let me get this straight, after 3 pages of debate we have concluded that the quiz master is a buffoon, and in fact the closest star is in fact Dorothy?

• Like 4

So let me get this straight, after 3 pages of debate we have concluded that the quiz master is a buffoon, and in fact the closest star is in fact Dorothy?

Im sorry, I cannot agree that the nearest star is Dorothy, I have always beleived it to be Lassey

The Sun is in fact the nearest star to Earth.

I just looked it up in Wikipedia so it must be true.

However, there is a link from Wikipedia to Wiktionary, which says that a star is any small dot appearing in the cloudless portion of the sky.

For the sake of clarity on the word 'dot', Wiktionary helpfully defines it as the diminutive of the female given name Dorothy.

Sorted ;)

Shouldn't that be Dot, rather than dot? (I'm getting a nasty case of pedantache now!)

Im sorry, I cannot agree that the nearest star is Dorothy, I have always beleived it to be Lassey

No Lassey is the dog star!

• Like 1

it should be toto as that was dorothy's dog wantit.

I once complained at a quiz night when the quizmaster reckoned the answer to the largest organ in the human body is the liver. I had put down the skin which is correct. Becuase I disputed it he gave a point to both liver and skin. We missed out on winning by one point.

No, it's the other way round - the quizmaster is Dorothy (provided it's not cloudy), and the closest star is in fact a bufoon. Sure I've got that right.

• Like 2

The outermost known is Sedna and the smallest, well that depends on how far you go, but the smallest current accepted Dwarf Planet is MakeMake...although Heaumea is the strangest.

If you stick to the major planets it will be Mercury and Neptune respectively.

Hmmm, I know that but the question is "does the quizmaster?"

The most infuriating thing when you get a question correct only to be told you are wrong because the quizmaster is ill-informed or 20 years behind the eight-ball.

Another non-Astro classic was "how many English king Edwards have there been?" to which the quizmaster's answer was eight. Wrong! Eight had regnal numbers but what happened to Edward the Confessor, the Elder and the Martyr. I think Eleven is what the answer should have been. Aaaaargh!

Rant over.

I guess what this really means is that the pub quiz is not the place to go lernin stuff ;)

I guess what this really means is that the pub quiz is not the place to go lernin stuff ;)

whoda thunk it?

whoda thunk it?

Obviously not the quiz 'master' lol .. he no thunk our ickle Sun is a star :(

In Trivial Pursuit (anyone still be playing it at Christmas ? ) the answer is the Sun.

Dave

Wonder if its ever popped up in QI ? Cos I'm not entirely convinced as to the validity of the answers given on that quiz ?

In Trivial Pursuit (anyone still be playing it at Christmas ? ) the answer is the Sun.

Dave

Oh yes (in chruchhill the dogs best overtones) I love Trivial. Mind you with my Art and Lit and Entertainment knowledge I will still be playing it at Easter :(

I do read by the way just havent read any fiction for nearly 30 years which is a bit of a disadvantage with pursuit Lit questions.

Question: "What is the currency in Denmark?"

Our answer: "The Danish Krone"

Wrong, apparently. According to the Quiz Master it is the Danish Crown. We tried to explain that Crown is just the English for Krone, but no. That point would have tied us with two other teams for a “nearest the bull” tie-breaker that happened to be a relatively obscure date that I knew (coz I used to work for the organization that it related to). Neither of the other teams were close.

Oh yes (in chruchhill the dogs best overtones) I love Trivial. Mind you with my Art and Lit and Entertainment knowledge I will still be playing it at Easter :(

I do read by the way just havent read any fiction for nearly 30 years which is a bit of a disadvantage with pursuit Lit questions.

love me the trivials too. pump me full of whatever scotch my brother has got that year (bruichladdich last year - i know jack about whisky but he seems to know what he's doing), ham and celebrations within easy reach, set up a game of girls vs boys, happy days.

For those of you that have trouble sleeping , look up wikipeadia's definition of a definition ;)

Pure genius!

Not content with quitting after the first sentence, while they were possibly winning, the definition continues for four paragraphs after which...

I'm just not sure of anything else in life :embarrassed: .

Bruicladdich or however it's spelt is a nice drop :)

And as I said earlier the wiki def of a def is pure sleep inducing so much so tha zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Our local quiz master has a portable mobile phone jamming gadget due to the amount of people googling under the table.

Least I think that's what there doing:o:blink::huh::wacko:

Resurrecting an old thread but just returned from our local pub quiz. One question was: What did Percival Lovell (sic) discover in 1930? Answer: Pluto :eek: It didn't matter that I was totally confused by the question, we still lost overall :smile: