Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which colour filters do i need?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never found coloured filters to be of any use for observing planets. Maybe think about buying a UHC or Oiii filter. These are known as "Nebula filters" and will work with a 130mm scope. They (Oiii) make some Neb visible that would normally be invisible and enhance others that are already visible (UHC).

I bought the Skywatcher versions of both and am really enjoying them.

http://www.firstligh...al-filters.html

I don't use coloured filters or a moon filter but, like Michael, I find UHC and O-III filters useful for increasing the contrast with some nebulae. Oh, and I do use a full aperture solar filter to view the Sun in white light.

For visual astronomy I don't think filters need to be considered as mandatory equipment though some find them useful. The UHC / O-III narrowband filters (as they are known) are worth considering in due course as a "nice to have" accessory for certain objects and, depending on your scope, the only way to visually see one or two.

Like John I also have a full aperture solar filter (Thousand Oaks, glass)

I'd love a ready made solar filter because i am useless with cardboard and sticky tape .

Ive seen the Thousand Oak glass ones and i like what i see. I would be using it on my Celestron 70mm Travelscope refrac. You dont need much aperture to observe the sun.

Do the Thousand Oak glass solar filters come in 70mm (or slightly larger) to take into consideration the OD of scopes.

If you can point me in the right direction on this i will be a very happy bunny.

Paul

Hi Paul ,

The easiest way to make a Solar filter is with Baader film and an appropriately sized Embroidery Hoop .

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Just needs three small set-screws to stop it falling off , no cardboard or sticky needed , just a strip of flocking to save the paintwork.

Steve.

Hi Paul ,

The easiest way to make a Solar filter is with Baader film and an appropriately sized Embroidery Hoop .

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Just needs three small set-screws to stop it falling off , no cardboard or sticky needed , just a strip of flocking to save the paintwork.

Steve.

I'm way past DIY solar filters. I've made two in the past and they fell to bits. I want a ready made solution at this stage..........the Thousand Oak glass ones are the way to go for me.

I could buy a sheet of solar film but thats a waste of cash as i was also thinking of just cutting a square out to fit on the inside of my 70mm scopes dust cap.

I'd prefer to pay how ever many dollars for a full 70mm aperture then spend £20 on something that i will only cut 1 inch square from.

Colour filters won't be useful for anything other than possibly the planets - Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Just concentrate on getting familiar with your new scope. Look at the Moon, Jupiter, the Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula and enjoy them. Then search around for other objects - the 'Sky at Night' and 'Astronomy Now' mags will tell you what to look for.

I wanted to get a glass solar filter because I thought the view would be better, but having tried a couple, I have to say that the quality of view through the Baader film is much better than through glass filters.

I don't use coloured filters planetary observing either. I bough a green filter but I have yet to find it useful. I do use UHC and Oiii filters for nebulae and a Skywatcher LPR, which is a Neodymium type filter. I use this to boost contrast on the moon and planets though rather than as a light pollution filter. I also have a Baader solar continuum filter which works well together with the Baader solar film to boost the contrast of sunspots and solar surface granulation. You do need a bright image for this though as the BSC is strongly coloured (bright pea green, most unusual colour). Works quite well on the moon when almost full as well.

Oh to hell with it. I just checked the Irish website and they dont have the solar film for sale (they told me at the star party it would be available in Oct).

I just pulled the trigger on the sheet of film from FLO (£11 shipping was a bit expensive).

Hey ho!!!!!!!.

Least i have a sheet of solar film that will last me years on my 70mm refract but the dust cap i want to tape it to is less then 70mm.

Only trying to help , if you want to spend 2 - 3 times for the same thing it's fine by me . . . . I've used that one in the pic daily since the end of June with no problem . . .

Steve.

I don't think anyone is criticising your approach Steve. Some of us either don't have the time or the aptitude to make good stuff, like you do :smiley:

Only trying to help , if you want to spend 2 - 3 times for the same thing it's fine by me . . . . I've used that one in the pic daily since the end of June with no problem . . .

Steve.

Sorry...

I have used it and i know it works. I wasnt arguing. Its the cheapest and best.

Making the filter from an Embroidery hoop is only a matter of loosening the clamp screw , laying the film over the inner ring , dropping the outer ring back over the inner (sandwiching the film between the two rings) and tightening up the clamp screw again to secure.

Then simply drill 3 appropriate size holes for the screws and it's done . . . literally a 5 minute job . . . the rings are about £ 1.00 for a 3"

You didn't think I steam-bent my own rings . . . :rolleyes:

Steve.

Making the filter from an Embroidery hoop is only a matter of loosening the clamp screw , laying the film over the inner ring , dropping the outer ring back over the inner (sandwiching the film between the two rings) and tightening up the clamp screw again to secure.

Then simply drill 3 appropriate size holes for the screws and it's done . . . literally a 5 minute job . . . the rings are about £ 1.00 for a 3"

You didn't think I steam-bent my own rings . . . :rolleyes:

Steve.

I dont own a drill.

But now i'm thinking an A4 sheet of solar film will be enough to make a dust cap filter for my 70mm frac and also a full aperture filter for my 8SE?

I just need a drill and an 8" enbroidery hoop

I don't think you'll get a full aperture filter for an 8SE out of an A4 sheet, but a 90mm off-axis would be good.

Remember to remove the invisible clear film as well as the tissue paper!

I bought a round box from Hobycraft cut a hole in the bottom, taped the filter over the hole then put the lid for the box (with a second hole cut in it) ontop fixed with doublesided tape. Can't see it so well here but it was easy to make. I just stuff a few bits of foam down the sides to make sure it stays firmly in place when observing.

med_gallery_5915_1179_88886.jpg

For moon observing I just leave the "lid" on the scope with the smaller cap removed, leaving about 50mm of aperture. Cuts down the full force of the moon's glare without changing the colour or affecting the contrast.

That will certainly reduce the brightness but you are effectively creating a 50mm scope with that approach so you will loose a substantial amount of resolution over your full 150mm aperture.

Archived