Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Alt-AZ EQ6 GEQ First Thoughts

jam1e1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guide graph in post #74 was on the basis of alignment using the polar scope. Not sure if that helps at all?

I haven't got around to learning how to do polar alignment using eqmod yet so in fact all my alignments to date have been using the polar scope. I've not had any issues..., quite the opposite actually.

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday night I finally managed to try out guiding with my AZ-EQ6-GT. Probably not a very strenuous test, imaging at 450mm f/l and with only 8kg total set-up weight on a mount that FLO rates as having 18kg capacity, but for what it's worth, here's my PhD plot. This was my first night trying out guiding, and there was no such nonsense as drift aligning, etc - I just used the Skywatcher polar scope and guessed where 04.30 was for positioning Polaris!

Either way, I'm very happy with the result!

Alistair, I was just wondering what is the vertical scale in your plot? Do you know what's the peak to peak PE of your mount. Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heads up on software for this mount, appears from discussing this mount on another forum, there may be inaccuracies in az mode goto accuracy. I've noted some strange behaviour in some parts of the sky relating to accuracy, another guy also has and made some recordings of findings and seen similar behaviour. Guess it should be consistent behaviour across any synta az goto mount?

The mount has been aligned and setup as per manual, appears some parts of sky accuracy is out by about one degree.

Either way these findings have been sent off to skywatcher for review. Owing to poor skies haven't had chance to test further but will post if/when see any outcome.

Appears eq mode fine (else would guess eq6 users would have noticed way before now).

Note can't say for certain there is an error in software but does appear so in az mode.

If anyone else has noted this would be interested to hear.

Hi All,

I just heard back from Skywatcher via my AZ-EQ6 mount dealer (Rother valley Optics) yesterday. The AZ mode inaccuracies affecting stand-alone operation and use with Sky Safari have been recognised by Synta and they have developed a fix that will appear in the next firmware release (3.36). They have given no date for this yet but let's hope it fixes the issues so we can all (at last) get good performance in AZ mode.

Thanks

I am the culprit that submitted a test run in AZ Mode to my dealer showing the problems with pointing in certain areas of the sky. He has forwarded it to Synta. At certain points the mount would do a little up and down dance from the object to about one degree below the object. It eventually settles at that one degree below. Hopefully that will be fixed. I will also submit information on a cord-wrap problem in AZ Mode where the power and HC cord can really get wrapped around the mount if you are not watching it. I am not sure how the firmware knows how far the mount has rotated from its initial set up since according to the manual you don't need to start from a fixed (Home) position when using the 2-star alignment. You have to put a lot of slack in the cables.

I also wish they would put a Solar alignment feature in since most other manufacturers have that capability.

JohnD

I ran a test in AZ Mode to get some info on the cord-wrap problem. Started alignment with Arcturus (Az=256 degrees) by manually moving in clockwise direction. Selected 2nd alignment star as Vega (Az=65 degrees). Mount slewed clockwise to Vega. Finally I chose Saturn (Az=228 degrees) as my first object. The mount again slewed clockwise to Saturn. At that point the mount had rotated clockwise about 550 degrees and the cords had wrapped around pretty good. In fact the power cord get embedded in a slot under the RA setting circle and was not easy to free. I had a lot of slack in the cords but the power cord got caught up by the Alt adjuster as the mount rotated so it helped to lift the cord up into the slot. I hope Synta can fix this problem before something breaks.

JohnD

Sounds familiar had this happen once also, got to point where mount could no longer rotate but luckily just caught in time. As was one off put it down to me not setting up right initially. Hoping these get fixed soon, thanks for heads up and detailed recordings of findings helps to work out if repeatable and if real issue (which they appear to be)

• 3 months later...

Hi

Just received the new mount on Friday, thanks again to First Light Optics for speedy delivery! Previously had an EQ6 pro so comparing experience to that before.

Haven’t had a chance to use outside yet, setup yesterday and had a quick play, here are some brief thoughts:

Delivery

Comes in similar boxes to EQ6. Legs are same as before, also comes with 2x 5kg weights and the standard eyepiece holder. Also came with English instructions.

Mount head comes with a number of accessories – standard synscan handset, 2x standard cables, handset holder. In addition new accessories are 3x allen keys, cable clip to stick to legs, snap cable for DSLR cameras, additional mount head, counterweight extension bar.

Mount Head

First thing you notice is the lighter weight- will make mobile setup much easier.

Counterweight bar

The bar has a different finish but feels heavy and robust, after some use expect to show some level of wear, but does look like a professional finish. Skywatcher seem to have done away with a number of the old ‘clutch’ designs using the black handles, the new bar clamp is tightened using the metal bar shown in picture.

attachicon.gifIMG_4329.jpg

Alt/Az clutches

The Alt clutch is shown in previous picture with counterweight bar, it’s the 3 pronged handle – in my view appears much more conveniently located and has a smooth gradual twist lock tightening feel – easy to find in dark if need to release the clutch.

The Az clutch is shown in this picture (with black handle by polar scope) it can be unscrewed and put in one of the other pre-tapped holes if need to tighten more or locate to more convenient position. Again another twist lock design. Both seem to be more robust than before and well thought out designs.

attachicon.gifIMG_4331.jpg

AZ mode lock

This picture shows two knurled silver bolts – one in the arch and another below in a seemly random position. There are two bolts – one longer that the other. The long one is in situ in the arch and fits into a locking hole to keep the mount in Az position. If used in EQ mode, you just unscrew and switch bolts over. The handle above adjusts tension for when in EQ mode and adjusting height (one also other side). Only point to note here is can see someone potentially forgetting about this bolt and trying to adjust height – this could cause some damage.

attachicon.gifIMG_4332.jpg

These other two pictures show the altitude adjuster for EQ mode – much more robust so no more potential ‘bendy bolt’ issues seen on previous mounts. Design is significant upgrade, really easy to use and again well thought out design. The handle also nicely slots into the inside of bolt to hide away out of sight which is useful. The black Az handles appear same as before, will see how they perform once get a chance outside.

attachicon.gifIMG_4333.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4334.jpg

Secondary head

This fits on really easily in about 2 mins by attaching to end of counterweight bar – the black bolt in middle locks the head to the bar, the tension bolt shown on bottom secures the head in position (the counterweight bar does have a flattened groove for this). The upper two adjusters are for fine adjusting so can sync Altitude of the two scopes when attached.

attachicon.gifIMG_4327.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4328.jpg

The jaws of both heads are spring loaded so again a good upgrade for grip and less marks on dovetail bars.

The next two pictures show two possible positions for mounting scopes.

attachicon.gifIMG_4336.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4337.jpg

Mount in action

Powered up mount, first asked to select mode, only played with in Az mode. The sound of the natural slewing was really quiet, appeared more so than previous mount and appeared really smooth. The manual slewing had the usual sound to it but again quite smooth sounding, keeping in mind the new design.

Plugged in Skysafari unit (for those not aware this allows wireless control via IPhone or Android phones) and tested by slewing to a few objects, worked perfectly (note I mean no comms issues – straightforward to setup). My favourite feature was the dual encoders – I released both clutches, then moved the mount head. The position was seamlessly tracked in IPhone by the turquoise target shown in picture! As moved in Alt or Az the pointer moved to corresponding position – great for nights where you just want to wander through sky but keep track of position! The mount felt really smooth when moving around which was reassuring.

attachicon.gifphoto.PNG

Overall

The above points are only from a view of setup indoors and more of a usability and feature test.

To conclude really impressed with build quality, mount is lighter than before, also incorporates new designs that actually make it more user friendly and easier to use in field.

Being able to use 2x scopes at a time, and also keep track of exact position via encoders, are great new features.

Seamless integration with Skysafari was also pleasing, having not had to upgrade accessories also.

Really impressed so far and look forward to using in field. Will update findings as/when get a chance.

I have this same mount and love it.  And as the moments in time go by,  you will realize it is better than what you first thought.

Its a really nice professional mount that can do a lot of simple or professional work.

• 1 year later...

...At this point thought must have been my setup, so went to the show position function and looked at Alt/Az readout - this is where something strange happens. I took off Alt clutch and looked at encoders read out position, when i past 90deg Alt the AZ reading jumps literally by ~180deg from 144 to 322deg - even when Az is locked with clutch. The other readouts (axis #1 and axis #2 and RA/Dec) dont appear to exhibit this strange behaviour, the axis inc/dec linerally and do not exhibit this behaviour. In addition the Az seems to make slight increments or decrements along with an increasing or decreasing Alt manual adjustment - im trying to be careful not to put any load on Az to alter this, though may be due to the auto calculations this does as part of offsets from alignement.

Hi jam1e1,

I'm planning to get that mount and I have a question no one could answer so far but I found your post and I think you can answer :

My main question will be the following one :

When you say "...and looked at encoders read out position...", do you mean you can see figures changing "in real time" on your SynScan controler EVEN if the altitude (and/or azimuth) clutch is unlocked ?

Actually, I'm very intersted in astrolabes and also topography.

I think any azimtual mount can serve as an astrolabe (strictly speaking, "astrolabe" means something like "catching a star", understood it's altitude), and as a theodolite (but there's an important detail to take into account here...)

1) ASTROLABE : you only have to point your tube to a star and read the altitude/azimuth reading (though only alt or az is enough...) and that's it, this gives you a lot of information : the hour (knowing your local longitude of course...), where's the north, will that star still be visible in 1 hour, etc, etc...).

That's why I ask if you can, "in real time", see the altitude/azimuth, you have set manually by pointing a star (all axes free), on the controller ?

In other words, I don't want to know where are ojects, I know where there are, I only want numbers.

2) you can almost transform your mount into a THEODOLITE, but 2 problems :

• you have to replace your polar scope by a laser hitting the ground (laser direction=azimuth axe) to be dead above the ground reference point.
  • the tube is not centered but corrections could be computed later, we know the tube is not centered and we know by how much...

Have a nice day (or night :-) ) ,

Bloub

Hi jam1e1,

I'm planning to get that mount and I have a question no one could answer so far but I found your post and I think you can answer :

My main question will be the following one :

When you say "...and looked at encoders read out position...", do you mean you can see figures changing "in real time" on your SynScan controler EVEN if the altitude (and/or azimuth) clutch is unlocked ?

Actually, I'm very intersted in astrolabes and also topography.

I think any azimtual mount can serve as an astrolabe (strictly speaking, "astrolabe" means something like "catching a star", understood it's altitude), and as a theodolite (but there's an important detail to take into account here...)

1) ASTROLABE : you only have to point your tube to a star and read the altitude/azimuth reading (though only alt or az is enough...) and that's it, this gives you a lot of information : the hour (knowing your local longitude of course...), where's the north, will that star still be visible in 1 hour, etc, etc...).

That's why I ask if you can, "in real time", see the altitude/azimuth, you have set manually by pointing a star (all axes free), on the controller ?

In other words, I don't want to know where are ojects, I know where there are, I only want numbers.

2) you can almost transform your mount into a THEODOLITE, but 2 problems :

• you have to replace your polar scope by a laser hitting the ground (laser direction=azimuth axe) to be dead above the ground reference point.
  • the tube is not centered but corrections could be computed later, we know the tube is not centered and we know by how much...

Have a nice day (or night :-) ) ,

Bloub

Hi Bloub the numbers update in realtime in all the modes, regardless if clutch in or off, be it alt az or degrees etc, a useful feature , hope that helps? Jamie

Hi jam1e1,

Yes, it helps ! That's exactly what I wanted to know ! Very very cool stuff :-)

But I think we can't hope a for better accuracy than a minute of arc, on both axes, right ?

Thanks,

Bloub

• 2 months later...

Got it a few days ago and toyed mainly indoor so far..

I can't really compare, the last mount I used is a Vixen GP, about 20 years ago...

Anyway, it looks cool and works well.

For those not well aware of tech stuff, read 2.1 (as already said somewhere in this topic) at least one time and stick to it, this gonna save you quite some time and troubles, well it did for me...

Hi jam1e1,

Yes, it helps ! That's exactly what I wanted to know ! Very very cool stuff :-)

But I think we can't hope a for better accuracy than a minute of arc, on both axes, right ?

Thanks,

Bloub

With auto guiding, accuracies in the low arc seconds in either axis are common.

• 2 weeks later...

This mount (the AZ-EQ6) will probably be my next upgrade so I am pleased that some of the software bugs are being addressed by synta. It was inevitable that some bugs would crop up in such a new design. I just didn't want to be a Guinea pig finding them out.

Archived