SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Alt-AZ EQ6 GEQ First Thoughts

jam1e1

If the PC-Direct method works with the new mount then a direct connection via an existing EQDirect device will work as well provided the hardware interface is the same as used on the HEQ5 (i.e. no change in pin assignments).

Thanks, Chris. So I guess this is my next (and last) question re EQMOD. Can anyone verify the pin assignments?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

Just had another play with the mount indoors - updated to the latest firmware v3.32.

To cut a long story short still not 100% comfortable with performance in AZ mode. I did 2 star alignment and had a good enough guess as to where stars should be, also had Skysafari open as a guide to where stars should be, had guesses at capella and pollux. After alignment something wasnt right as slewing to M34 brought mount to horizon, it should have been near zenith. Alternately IC1360 brought mount to near zenith, this should have been near horizon. Whilst accept that i was doing a rough indoors play, would not expect the mount to be out by that much.

Had another go doing 2 star in AZ mode, tried to align to Rigel as 2nd star but it took mount to near zenith so gave up having a play in AZ mode.

Turned mount off and reset to EQ mode to UK altitude, then turned back on and set up as usual.

Went on to have a play in EQ mode with rough guesses at stars, this mode appeared fine after alignemnt and pretty much where expected to be.

Then went back to have one last play in Az mode, this time for some reason the mount appeared to work fine after 2 star alignment - stars and planets were pretty much expected where should be. Did another alignment and again appeared to be ok. Only difference I did make this time was to rotate the altitude axis 180deg from the start and begin alignment from there.

At this point thought must have been my setup, so went to the show position function and looked at Alt/Az readout - this is where something strange happens. I took off Alt clutch and looked at encoders read out position, when i past 90deg Alt the AZ reading jumps literally by ~180deg from 144 to 322deg - even when Az is locked with clutch. The other readouts (axis #1 and axis #2 and RA/Dec) dont appear to exhibit this strange behaviour, the axis inc/dec linerally and do not exhibit this behaviour. In addition the Az seems to make slight increments or decrements along with an increasing or decreasing Alt manual adjustment - im trying to be careful not to put any load on Az to alter this, though may be due to the auto calculations this does as part of offsets from alignement.

In summary whilst the initial alignment issue seemed to address itself after renewed attempt at alignment, still not completely satisfied it wont happen again, although i will have another play when get more time. On the Az/Alt readout issue this does appear strange and would welcome any feedback from others.

Update: appears the Alt/Az readout is for "celestial coordinates" hence normal operation for the 180deg change experienced above.

On alignment, appears the Az alignment routine is very particular about which stars can be used and distance apart - section 3.7 of new manual details what criteria should be used and suggested deviations.

Will give this a go once get a clear night, hopefully this should produce some good results

• 1 month later...

Hi all, so finally got around to having a play with mount once again outdoors in garden.

Previously I contacted OVL, who I passed on some questions and comments to Skywatcher, they provided some advice around setting up and alignment stars, was grateful to them both.

As a side point, found a very useful app written by an SGL member (Kustard I think) called Alt Az Align for Iphone - based upon mount and therefore available alignment starts, it finds the most suitable pairs for alignment accuracy, it lists them and shows on a basic skymap- got to say superb app, well thought out, simple and does what it says on the tin.

Advice around alignment stars from SW was similar to what is in manual, the 2 star alignment pairs must be within certain boundaries/specs - not best to choose 2 at random. This is detailed in manual.

I started off by setting up in AZ mode, balancing then doing 2 star alignment, started off scope at 0deg Alt and pointing north for Az. After a couple of attempts at finding suitable pairs for my location, chose Aldebaran and Dubhe. On first star took clutches off, aligned roughly, then did final fine alignment with handset. Scope then slewed to 2nd star, whilst the alignement star was quite a bit out in Alt, either way slewed to star and aligned, got a successful alignment.

Now for the first test - Jupiter! Chose it on handset, mount slewed to what appeared close by, looked through EP - was bang on! :grin: left the scope there for about ~5 mins whilst observed, whilst was a quick alignment by myself, was really pleased that appeared to stay central and didn't move - ive had 'worse' alignment using old EQ6 mount!! Tried out few other targets, beehive, orion neb, pollux, castor, got to say was pretty much spot on for most, slightly out by 1xEP width on one or two targets but that was due to my quick alignment.

Good point to note, Mount was really quiet whilst tracking - could be forgiven for thinking it was off! My final test (as clouds started to roll in) was 'declutch' in both axis, move around a bit, reengage then goto target. Got to say it was pretty much spot on again, cant say noticed any degradation in alignment. :grin:

Conclusion

Got to say, overall now really pleased and happy with mount. Now also understand more about constraints and specifics around AltAz alignment, this wasn't available at time bought mount initially (Az manual) so worth noting the constraints around alignment stars should be closely followed for best accuracy - else use an app :grin: Happy to hear back from any other users also around findings. Will update as and when get clear skies and get more use. Jamie

Another brief report on Az use, took out for a 4 hour session on Saturday in the garden. Managed to get aligned quite quickly via 2 star alignment (for those new to this, note the key point about alignment in section 2.1 of manual - scope should start horizontal and pointing north ).

Used Skysafari and Skyfi via iphone to control mount once aligned, got through a vast majority of night sky, loads of M objects, Jupiter, double stars, planetary nebs, orion neb etc. Accuracy was really good, despite my alignment wasn't most robust i.e aligned in EP on 2 alignment stars using 24mm EP and guessed middle position. Most objects aligned to within EP FOV.

One good test was left Jupiter in an 8.8mm for 30min, was still there when came back after went for break, albeit moved slightly but this was down to my alignment. I'm confident that alignment with a reticle EP this mount will hold alignment really well.

Again its great to have encoders to take clutches off and move around without loosing alignment.

One point I did notice, but didn't manage to identify when this happened, the handset came up with error saying exceeded slewing limits even though I didn't set any or turn it on! Will check next time get handset out what the default setting is (section 6.3 of manual). So just be aware if doing any sort of photography or just visual.

Due to weather haven't had a chance to do any more than visual observing currently, will save the DSLR until when we get a clear run of nights :)

Again, overall working to spec as far as can see and really happy with mount so far (synscan v3.32 upgraded to latest fyi) :grin:

Thanks for these updates jam1e1. Just had my mount out for the first time in az mode and it seems to be running into the same issues you origianlly had. My handset is v3.32. Really odd choices of bright stars (inc Saturn) when I asked it for my eastern sky choices. I'll set up again and reorient the az axis 180 degrees as you did and see if that helps. Got a Skysafari connector thing, and have DLd the app to my wifes ipad, so will try that as well. Agree with all your other comments though - nicely made and robust mount indeed. Its absolutely fine in EQ mode, so I'm guessing the az alignment issue is down to the user (me) being an idiot :p. Very hopeful that this'll be a keeper!

Hi Marki glad to have helped! Suggest set up scope on right hand side of mount, start off horizontal and pointing towards north, then use 2 star align and choose 2 suitable ones using alt az align app. Slew or de clutch to roughly near target star in finder, then press enter and do fine adjustment for star using handset, then choose 2nd star and it will slew to close by and then use handset to finalise adjustment. Any issues post here or PM cheers Jamie

Ps don't align using planets! :)

Really great to see comments on this mount as I think I have decided to get it, in preperation of getting a Newtonian (as my first ever scope for my 50th birthday in March). :rolleyes:

I do have a question - as I'll primarily be using for viewing, using this mount in Az mode, would a 250mm PDS be OK? I'm informed that using a 250mm in EQ mode for AP would be too much weight when considering the guide scope, etc. So if looking to ue for AP in the future, I'd most likley be better off getting a 200 now.

I just ordered a bluetooth adaper to hook up to this using the SkySafari Plus software, and I look forward to posting some details on my setup when I have it, as well as unboxing and completed images as well.

Thanks again. The unpacking and setup images were great to see - would like to see a 250 mounted on one so I can get an idea if it'll sit nicely at the end of the living room.

Hi Keefnet one of mine is the 250pds - used it last time was out worked flawlessly - just make sure you add the two counterweights and balance correctly first with all accessories attached before align. Also make sure you position the EP in a suitable position as part of setup before you being alignment. The thing I like about Az for visual is EP stays in same 'position' with respect to Azimuth hence no awkward position or need for rotating rings! You wont be disappointed :) Happy bday in advance, will certainly be one you'll remember!

Thanks Jamie.Trying not to let my wife see how much the mount is costing :rolleyes:

You ever use the 250in EQ mode and if so, for AP? FLO suggested the 250 would be too heavy with a guide and camera for the NEQ6 Pro but I'm not completely convinced that would be too much for this new mount. Of course, i,m not planning on ignoring advice they provided so will start with the mount + OTA, view away and learn. Hopefully not rely on the goto feature too much :shocked: or skysafari, then contemplate advanced AP later on.

I am so glad I came across this forum. Impressive beyond expectations, informative and so friendly.

If never done ap before, highly recommend a book 'making every photo count' by Steve Richards - FLO sell it, author is also a member on this forum. The book will save a considerable amount time and expense getting started.

Like anything new, worth reducing the unknown variables and starting off with basics and working up from there.

When have imaged it has been planetary on old eq6 that sold, using 120ed frac. Given the recent weather I've had mount out about 3 times in last 4 months, not enough time for visual let alone ap :) when get more time and better skies may look to get more into imaging, but I'm mainly visual at mo.

But you do use the mount for your 10" Newt' and that works fine as long as balanced? And if yes, I assume you run that in AZ mode for the reason mentioned i.e. keep the eyepiece in the right plane. Could you tell me the overall width of that setup i.e. edge of scope to end of counterweight? Thanks. I ordered the book at the weekend from FLO, but I am considering the Alt-AZ EQ6 to cover all bases irrespective of what OTA I end up getting.

Yep use both - 120ed when quick setup or double stars/planets and 250pds for DSO - both fine as long as balanced.

Az for keeping EP in one plane for both scopes.

With regards to weights, not too much of issue in Az where the weights are - as long as towards edge , I just guess but extend bar fully and move 2x weights towards edge, really don't think has to be precise in AZ. The balance really only matters for Alt i.e. how far up or down the tube rings are with respect to mirror. Suggest add finder/EPs then loosen rings to allow scope to be in position you want, then balance by moving scope along tube rings - taking care not to loosen too much or scope could fall out and would be an expensive mistake(nearly done once). I put finger on the bolt of tube ring holder to 'feel' bolt recess into, normally a few mm indent is enough to loosen for adjustment.

I bought this for same reason as yourself ie flexibility. (didn't tell wife either how much it cost :) - she said looks expensive....!)

Thinking more about it, in EQ mode I used to use 3x counterweights for balance with EQ6, although this mount comes with counterweight extension bar hence 'should' be able to add this and move weights out further to balance....but haven't tried as yet.

This is the new setup. Arrived mid afternoon yesterday - took these pics this morning, some additional shots on my gallery you can look at - in the box sort of thing. When I took the OTA out of the box and put into the rings, my wife's comment "oh my God!" - priceless. She thought it was going to be a quarter of the size - I had showed her pictures on the internet, but have to agree -- until you see one up close and personal. I am really pleased I went with the 10" and this mount but you do need a little space for it. [sharedmedia=gallery:images:16854]

This is the rear, and I think I have it set the right way round. All looks awesome, hopefully some clear sky tonight -- only have the stock 38mm eyepiece to try but expect to get a few 2" Celestron X-cel LX eyepieces while in the US in a couple of weeks time. [sharedmedia=gallery:images:16855]

Excuse the layout of that post as I'm still having issues in IE on Windows 8 getting new line to work, and also embedding pictures here is new to me and managed to link to my gallery. I'll endeavour to fix (learn how to do it properly, really). Will try Firefox next time.

Just an update - I managed to use a Bluetooth dongle on the mount, set to 9600 baud to successfully communicate with Skysafari running on my galaxy S3 Android phone. That said, I haven't yet had a clear sky to align the scope then see if Skysafari can indeed goto a star or planet but it looked as thought it wanted to go somewhere when running in the living room. I'll post more specifics about the setup as and when I get it operational pointing at proper objects (assuming someone is interested in this type of link). With the supplied 43x 28mm eyepiece I was able to see Jupiter and it's 4 brightest moons, in a brief clear patch 2 nights ago -- not long enough to test the Skysafari yet. I am picking up a few eyepieces on a trip to the US in 2 weeks so will get bigger views then. Cheers again to all those on here that provided advice to a complete novice. Sirius looked amazing... very sparkly!

Not sure this is a good idea but so far, seems to be good for me and what I wanted it for.

Kind of generic to any mount I guess, but a slight update to my setup. Due to lack of stars to look at, and limited eyepieces until I get to the US and pick up a small selection next week, I made a trolley for this mount :grin:

The requirement was for a method to be able to leave the mount+scope setup, and not have to lift it over the back door sil each time I wanted to use it. The biggest benefit would be that I could leave setup in my living room, by the back door, but when needed I could wheel it into another room, out of the way - I measured the splayed legs and worked out it would be close but not impossible.

I had a new hardwood half glazed door going spare, and measured it out and the lower half frame would be ideal. I chopped the bottom half off, trimmed a bit from each side to make it just fit through an internal doorway, worked out where the mount legs would sit and drilled slight recess holes, then mounted 2" locking casters. I do need to maybe add a lifting rope to one side, and one or two handles to help when manhandling out over the UPVC patio door lip and down a few inched to the patio. I also may add some additional brackets to ensure the legs don't try to splay apart, but as the hardwood is very sound, this does apepar to be quite robust -- early days obviously and I haven't even tried to get outside with it yet. I have bolts coming from ebay but I used screws initially and they seem OK too.

I'll add a couple of images to my gallery.... can't work out how to add them directly here apart from a cloud link.

happy days and cloud free nights :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday night I finally managed to try out guiding with my AZ-EQ6-GT. Probably not a very strenuous test, imaging at 450mm f/l and with only 8kg total set-up weight on a mount that FLO rates as having 18kg capacity, but for what it's worth, here's my PhD plot. This was my first night trying out guiding, and there was no such nonsense as drift aligning, etc - I just used the Skywatcher polar scope and guessed where 04.30 was for positioning Polaris!

Either way, I'm very happy with the result!

post-17479-0-45089500-1362415038_thumb.j

Archived