nebulosity 3 good or bad

I agree with all the above Nebulosity V3 rocks. Especially if you link it to Phd for guiding as well. I have used it on my Canon T2i and my ATIK383L+ mono CCD, and also with the ATIK EFW2 filter wheel. It basically covers everything, from webcam to CCD and pre and post processing. Great bit of kit for the money.

I do now use PixInsight for my processing, but always Nebulosity for capture control.

Clear Skies

Paul

I can see the attracton as a capture software but with the setup I'm using it has one dire failing which drives me crazy. The screen stretch is awful and is incredibly tricky to manipulate when it comes to revealing faint detail in short test captures. I also use Artemis Capture with other cameras and there the screen stretch shows so much more. This is important when tryng to frame faint objects.

Olly

I can see the attracton as a capture software but with the setup I'm using it has one dire failing which drives me crazy. The screen stretch is awful and is incredibly tricky to manipulate when it comes to revealing faint detail in short test captures.

Yes it can be rather fiddly - it hasn't bothered me too much, but then again I'm still at the stage where I'm just imaging the usual suspects (the brighter DSO objects) so it's not too difficult to locate them.

What I tend to do though as a check, if I'm unsure, is to use the positions of the stars to give an understanding of what the FOV is showing - i.e compare the pattern of stars in the FOV to a stock photo from the web.

I'm rather a fan of Nebulosity (the fact it runs on the Mac may have helped) and use it for capture and in conjunction with PHD for guiding/dithering. To date I've not had a problem with it and the developer is pretty responsive to feature requests/support.

I don't use it much for processing now as I use Pixinsight for that but for capture etc it's easy to use and reliable.... well worth the small fee.

James

I have been using nebulosity for capture and phd link for some time and found it to be the easiest to use that I have tried. Olly's point is a good one and a weakness the software does have, I have not tried any processing as like James I use PI.

I couldn't tell you if it does a better job (others might be able to) of stacking but i found i prefered being able to operate in a single environment for capture & pre-processing.

I also use PHD so it intergrates well with that and the active support from Craig i think makes it a more complete & professional package on Maxim DL's level, i prefer the Neb3 interface though.

Archived