Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Codec not supported!" problem in AviStack2

I had this problem a couple of years ago, but found the solution to be the krsgravi DLL & DLM which you popped into the AviStack folder, and hey presto, the AVIs loaded fine, However, I haven't done any stacking since last September(!) :shocked:, and since then, my main PCs have been replaced, with one running 7 Pro 32, and the other 7 Pro x64. I've installed & krsgravi'd both 32 & 64 bit versions of AviStack2, I've even installed and tried both Registax 5.1 & 6, but I cannot get any of them to natively load the videos I've recently recorded via EOSmovierecord. I have to VirtualDub them first, resulting in colossal (2 - 4GB) files from the original 100-200MB videos, and having to do this extra (previously not required) conversion step is both a pest, and time-consuming. Obviously if I told VirtualDub to use a compression codec, the files wouldn't be so big, but then I risk losing data. I'm more concerned as to why my previously working AviStack2 w/krsgravi setup is now steadfastly refusing to load the same captured AVIs it has dealt with seamlessly beforehand... :(

Any clues?

as a matter of routine when I'm installing a new OS or updating I also install the codec pack from the Combined Community Codec Pack which seems to cover the majority of codecs in use and it includes a couple of useful video players http://www.cccp-project.net/

Quicktime would be the obvious programme to install MJPEG codecs?

Thanks folks...

Cath, I know, it's extremely frustrating to have re-structured everything as (I hope) it was only to hit this brick-wall, but I'm no further forward, and the only difference that's obvious is the WinXP to Win7 thing, which I'm 99% certain has nothing to do with it.

Kev, thanks, even although I already had the full KL codec pack installed, I tried the CCCP one, but no joy. I also installed Quicktime (normally avoid it like the plague...), but still to no avail, still getting "Codec not supported!" in both 32 & 64 bit AviStack, and Registax 5.1 & 6. The only difference between AviStack & Registax is the error message; in Registax I get "Failed to start AVI decompression, codec:mjpgvids". Same thing, different words, I suppose. This is extremely frustrating.

Aaargh! I thought I'd got it working there... I downloaded the FFDshow pack itself, and followed the instructions here : http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/stacking, which finally got around the "Codec not supported!" error, only for AviStack to now crash at the start of the aligning stage with this rather wordy error :

"The following error was encountered: Attempt to subscript <LONG Array[1]> with <INT ( 1)> is out of range. Please consult the supplier of the application."

/sigh...

Your not along with the mjpeg problem Takahashi, I've had the same problem all along myself, even after installing various mjpeg codecs it hasn't worked.

So all I do now is convert the AVI files into lossless huffyuv AVI files, but it does increase the file size somewhat I know, which is a problem if you don't have lots of spare HD space and a fast PC.

BTW, if you ever do convert AVI files, make sure the program reads the AVI off one hard drive and saves it to a different one (I have 3 HD's in my PC), otherwise it will take AGES! .. it's slow if you use the same HD because a HD's head takes time to move from one part of the HD disk to another, but that is bypassed if you read the AVI file from one HD and save it to another, the HD heads don't have to keep moving all over the place.

Archived