Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 314L+ Question

JacobvonChorus

For a while now, I was considering the Atik 428EX but a recent increase in price in Canada was put it over my price cut-off line. So instead I am looking at the ATik 314L+ which is massively cheaper. I will be using this camera with my ED80 at F/5 so 400mm focal length. This gives me 3.33 arcseconds/pixel. Is that resolution decent? Will the stars be box-like? The Atik 428EX gave me a nice resolution but since that is out, I want to know if the Atik 314L+'s resolution will work. I want to use this camera mainly for narrowband so how will its sensitivity be at the key HII, OIII and SII wavelengths? How will the sensitivity compare the Atik 428EX. The QE curve may be lower for the 314 but its greater pixel size should more than make up for that, correct?

Jacob

While I can not answer specifically about resolution, there's many folks on here using the 314L+ with short focal length scopes and it works a treat. It is a sensitive little camera and for narrowband it works well. I did quite a bit of narrowband with mine and I was very pleased with it. I use mine at 500mm and absolutely no problem at all.

i image with an 80mm @ f/4.8 with the 314L+ which gives me 3.46 arcsecs. i dont think my stars come out square

judge for yourself. they are a very very good combination that you will not be dissapointed with

8181944911_bb11de0e11_z.jpg

NGC7023 V3 by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

8125945723_bcdf76b6b5_z.jpg

NGC6888 v4 by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

8050104525_e067c66856_z.jpg

Heart Nebula Bicolor HOO by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

They are really wonderful images :) I'm really looking forward to getting an Atik 314L+ in a month or two's time :) I've seen some fantastic images captured with this camera :)

Beautiful images, not box-like at all. I think I may just be hooked on Atik 314L+. I will be buying it probably sometime this winter so I can make sure I don't have a faulty model before the nice weather returns while not wasting the warantee during the winter when it is too cold for astrophotography (I've gone out when it was -20 degrees C and it was not fun). Though I have a feeling I could be ordering it sooner, so tempting.

Jacob

Beautiful images, not box-like at all. I think I may just be hooked on Atik 314L+. I will be buying it probably sometime this winter so I can make sure I don't have a faulty model before the nice weather returns while not wasting the warantee during the winter when it is too cold for astrophotography (I've gone out when it was -20 degrees C and it was not fun). Though I have a feeling I could be ordering it sooner, so tempting.

Jacob

Tempting indeed, Jacob :D Must say, I feel tempted to order one sooner rather than later :)

Hi Jacob,

I also use a 314L with my ed80 and I'm happy with the results.

I struggled to achieve focus at prime focus so you will need to add an extension tube between the camera and the scope (which is no problem) with no reducer.

I have actually been using a 0.6 reducer now with mine (like you plan too) so pushing the resolution even further. With this I need no extension tube as the reducer moves the focal point in.

I'm certainly no expert and have a lot to learn but I'm getting reasonable results now, here is an example with the 0.6 reducer:

post-13692-0-95618400-1343125203_thumb.p

Good luck with your acquisition, the 314 is a great little camera!

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Jump to it... I had one for 2 years, its a great camer and you wont have any problem at 400mm

Here was my old wide field setup. I used to use it at 200mm

Sigma 100-300 f/4

original.jpg

So you're using your 314 and filter wheel with a camera lens then? What adapter(s) did you use? That's something I want to do with my 314l+ and EFW2

I'm mainly interested in using Pentax/Praktica threaded lenses (M42x1mm). I have Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar prime lenses of 35, 55, and 200mm and also another make (though pretty good quality) 135mm f2.8. The Takumars are really superb lenses. I do have one EF mount lens - a zoom. There would be no problem if adapters to EF mount proved easier because I have M42 screw to EF adapters that provide infinity focos.

• 2 weeks later...

Atik314L+M has arrived. Have been playing around with it inside for a few hours and I love it! It was heavier than I expected based on the picture but it is still no heavier than my DSLR. It is well built with a nice red metal shell and it is also compact. The cooler worked wonders. I was able to bring it from 23°C to 0°C in a couple minutes easy. I was able to bring it down to about -8°C on maximum. I tried following Craig Stark's tutorial on "measuring" the CCD. I got about 16.5k electron full well capacity and 6 electron read noise. I was expecting the famous 3.7 electron read noise. I am pretty sure I did something wrong though so those numbers may be wrong. Plus, I did this right beside my computer with its cheap power supply within a couple feet of the camera so that could be adding noise. I am so far very impressed with this camera.

Well, this defies the laws of the universe but it is clear tonight. The problem is it is -12°C. I am fine with that but according to the operating manual, my one and only laptop is not. :( I really do with I had a cheap netbook right now that I didn't care about right now (a purchase in the near future). Until then, I am just going to have to wait I guess...

Jacob

Atik314L+M has arrived. Have been playing around with it inside for a few hours and I love it! It was heavier than I expected based on the picture but it is still no heavier than my DSLR. It is well built with a nice red metal shell and it is also compact. The cooler worked wonders. I was able to bring it from 23°C to 0°C in a couple minutes easy. I was able to bring it down to about -8°C on maximum. I tried following Craig Stark's tutorial on "measuring" the CCD. I got about 16.5k electron full well capacity and 6 electron read noise. I was expecting the famous 3.7 electron read noise. I am pretty sure I did something wrong though so those numbers may be wrong. Plus, I did this right beside my computer with its cheap power supply within a couple feet of the camera so that could be adding noise. I am so far very impressed with this camera.

Well, this defies the laws of the universe but it is clear tonight. The problem is it is -12°C. I am fine with that but according to the operating manual, my one and only laptop is not. :( I really do with I had a cheap netbook right now that I didn't care about right now (a purchase in the near future). Until then, I am just going to have to wait I guess...

Jacob

Congratulations Jacob, it will not disappoint..

Archived