Narrowband

Jupiter on 21st November 2012

Paul G. Abel

Greetings all,

Attached are two drawings of Jupiter I made on the 21st November. Seeing was rather variable, but there were a number of interesting features present:

Drawing 1: Shadow of Ganymede near the proc. limb. Seeing variable. A number of dark sections present in the SEBz, GRS coming onto the disk. Ganymede in transit but not seen. NMumber of festoons in the EZ, and a number of darker sections in the NEB. The northern edge of the NTB dark and irregular.

Drawing 2: Ganymede now nearly off the disk. Some wonderful detail in the SEB just fol. the GRS. Seeing has improved somewhat. STropB dark for a short section fol. the GRS.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Jupiter_2012_11_21_20-12_visual_PAbel.jpg

Hi,

Two great drawings of Jupiter Paul. Really liking the detail you have captured. This is pretty much how I and a few others remember Jupiter on Wednesday evening (21.11.2012) up at Mansfield & Sutton Astronomical Society with one of our smaller scopes - 6 inch refractor. I recall being rather excited by the Ganymede on the cusp of the Jovian disk.

The Great Red Spot seems some what more pale than normal to me, do you have any ideas why this may be?

Brendan

Nottingham

Hi,

Two great drawings of Jupiter Paul. Really liking the detail you have captured. This is pretty much how I and a few others remember Jupiter on Wednesday evening (21.11.2012) up at Mansfield & Sutton Astronomical Society with one of our smaller scopes - 6 inch refractor. I recall being rather excited by the Ganymede on the cusp of the Jovian disk.

The Great Red Spot seems some what more pale than normal to me, do you have any ideas why this may be?

Brendan

Nottingham

Many thanks! To answer your question, the GRS has demonstrated much variability, both in size, colour and intensity over the last 150 years or so. The spot seems to be contracting, but when the SEB fades, the spot tends to become much darker and redder, then as the SEB revival occurs and the SEB returns to its former self, the GRS becomes much more pale. Quite why this should be the case, or the precises mechanisms by which this occurs are not wholly understood at this time.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Archived