Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

23rd/24th November - quick report

Marki

This quick report could be sub-titled a Tale of Two TALs, as I spent some time with both the 100rs and the 125r. Seeing seemed pretty good to me, moon and odd cloud notwithstanding.

Started with the 100rs, but as everything was a little "moonwashed",went for Jupiter. Began at x50, then cranked up the power with my new 7mm ortho for x142 - lots of detail beginning to emerge, altough it came and went, fading in and out with variable seeing. Got better as Jupiter rose and the scope cooled. Pushed to x200, but wasn't great. A little purple fringing apparent at times, but I soon was able to ignore it.

Decided to split Castor - easy, and then turned to Orion for some more double-fun. Started with theta and got the four principal bits with a very vague hint of the e component. The neb looked gorgeous and sharp, but then it clouded out for a while. Looked at the moon instead (the clouds forming a handy filter from time to time, lol) - gorgeously sharp detail pretty much everywhere I looked, even up to x200, and despite the brightness I wasn't bothered at all by any colour fringing (a tiny bit on the edge of the disc when slightly defocussed). Some of the best lunar views I've had all year, and I'd forgotten what a joy the 100rs is to use on this target.

Cloud thinned out and passed, and I decided to chuck the 125r on the mount. Spent a good long while with Jupiter - again the detail started to come with time, and I was getting some good views by 11.30ish. Began with the 20mm for x56, but mainly used the 7mm for x160. Patience very much rewarded for those fleeting moments of absolutely clarity. I did briefly try at x225 (with a 5mm ortho) but I think that was a little too much. It is really noticeable how much more contrast and detail the extra 25mm gives. Again some colour fringing, but not that noticeable, and barely aware when peering at the moon.

Turned to Orion. So much to do! M42 looked stunning - at x160 the trapezium flared out and I could almost persuade myself that I could sense the colour in the nebula. Lovely sense of structure and depth. Resolved the A through e compoents of theta pretty easily, but couldn't see f. Got splits with Alnitak, Mintaka and Meissa, and lots of interesting things happening in sigma too (really need to return to this - couldn't quite work out what was what!). Loads of other possible binaries/doubles too - think I got one on eta (need to check that too). Couldn't separate Rigel's feint companion though - must have lost it in the glare of the primary.

Really enjoyable night, only slightly spoilt by wondering clouds and the moon, and gave up around 12.30 when neighbour's security lamp came on (never normally a problem, so I can't complain too much).

Couple of things of note - I had previously posted that the 100mm Skylight f13 I recently got, blew my tal100rs away. I think i'd revise that statement now the first flush of ownership has faded (if you see what I mean); the f13 is clearly better built and of a much higher quality finish, has a way better focusser, and is better colour corrected, and can take higher mag more easily. But the tal can still hold its own on planets and the moon (especailly the latter) and in good seing will give the f13 a run for its money on doubles. The f13 is clearly a superior instrument, but the tal 100rs is certainly no slouch, and is not vastly overmatched by any means.

The second thing is that the Baader Genuine Ortho's rock! I really wish I'd got the whole set before they were discontinued ( I only have the 5mm and 7mm); absolutely brilliant for Jupiter watching and moongazing :).

Mmm - not as "quick" a report as I'd intended...thanks for reading :grin:

Archived