Narrowband

stretching of stars at the edges of widefield shots

Sammyb

Hello I've been having a go at using my D3100 attached to my EQ5 pro for some widefield shots of the nights using the standard 18-55mm lens kit.

I've noticed a frustrating effect whereby the stars at the edges of the field aren't nice and sharp but rather elongated.

Is this an artefact of the lens? is there a way this can be reduced?

Thanks,

Sam

Without seeing an example I'd say yes, it's probably a lens artefact. My Canon 18-55mm does the same. Stopping it down a stop or two may help, otherwise cropping them out seems to be the only option.

James

You must remember that your kit lens has two things going against it. The first is price;because it is a kit lens it is not an cheap option and they are usually not particularly well made - good enough for general photo's but, as you are finding, not very good if really tested. The second thing is the fact that it is a zoom and that brings many extra elements into the image train and each will have an detrimental effect on the lens quality. It is far better to use a 'prime' lens for the sort of work you are doing, a 50mm, 135mm, 200mm etc, as these use fewer elements and have better image control than a zoom could ever hope for.

Ahh cheers.

I don't suppose a great deal can be done about that either?

I have a half an hour of M45 subs that looks all purple and flared on the brighter stars, I was kind of expecting a bit better results but like Richard said I think it's down to the cheap glass on the zoom lens more than anything.

Here is one, I wasn't picking up any nebula in the subs and there is only a slight hint of it in the stacked pics.

It also looks out of focus but I spent a bit of time trying to get the focus right but I guess it could be internal reflections messing around with what I'm seeing.

It's a 30 second sub at iso800.

post-8383-0-57576500-1354006349_thumb.jp

Yeah, the cheap kit lenses are great for the price, but you have to go up a few magnitudes in price to get distortion free edges usually. I wish I had a Carl Zeiss Distagon 15mm but alas, for a fraction of the price, the kit lens and it's distortion don't bother me that much :)

Archived