Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

jambouk

SynScan update failure

I'm trying to update the firmware on y SkyWatcher 127 Goto handset (currently version 1.7, and not sure if there is a more up to date version but trying anyway). I've never done this before.

The device has a serial lead, which none of my computers have. I got hold of a serial to USB adaptor, but I still can't get the updater to work. I've got the loader software installed on my desktop (Windows 7), pressed 0 and 8 when I power up the handset, and run the loader, but it always comes up with the error message "Firmware update failed. Cycle power to SynSCan and try again!"; I've turned it on and off, rebooted with the device plugged in, not plugged in, etc, but just can't get it to work.

I suspect it is related to the handset having a serial connector and the computer not.

Anyway around this?

Thanks for any advice.

James

the USB to serial db9 needs a driver, and/or should have one.

then check computers device manager to see if it is detected as a com port device.

also write down this com port number it comes in handy when hooking up to stellarium and the likes.

got my usb to serial from maplin at 9.99 came with software. i installed driver first then plugged in my goto paddle (without power)

the notebook found it right away (win 7 starter). my version comes up V3.08 i think without checking.

skywatcher merlin ALT-AZ goto tracking head unit is what i am running

Synscan firmware loader V3.0

synscan firmware V3.08

Edited by Mr TamiyaCowboy

I can't help you directly but if you have bought a USB serial adapter then you DO have a serial port because that is what they do, add a serial port. What OS are you using? Windows>>>> Does it appear in the device manager? MacOS>>>>> Does it appear in About this Mac/More info/System report?

If the serial port appears on your computer then does the software to update the firmware ask for the serial port name? If so has it selected the right port?

I suspect that you haven't loaded the drivers for the FDTI chip in the usb to serial adapter they are available on the web FOC

Not all serial to USB adapters work for astronomyu applications - if it's not prolific PL2303 or FTDI it may work in some situations but not others. You can check this out in Device Manager

I found a laptop with a serial port so managed to do it the conventional way.

I'm surprised they don't manufacture them with a USB connection!

Thanks for the replies.

James

I wish all of my astro equipment came with a mini- or micro-D socket so it could go straight USB like a camera. My EQ6, my Sky Commander on my dob, my JMI NGC Max on an old dob I refurbished for the grandkids, all could benefit being dragged into the 21st century. DB9 serial sockets were reliable, but getting one in a new lappie is really tough.

• Like 1