reducer for equinox 120ed pro

adamw

Christmas is coming and my wife has asked me the usual question of what I want ? I had suggested a couple of EP’s then I starting thinking of a focal reducer for imaging. Can anyone recommend one for my Equinox 120 ED Pro? I notice that skywatcher do one that takes it down to F6.4, is this the only one available and if so is it any good? :smiley:

That's the one to go for. it is really designed as a field flattener but the reduction comes as part of that (a bonus if you like). I use one for all my DSO imaging and get pin sharp stars right out to the edge of my DSLR field of view. Well worth it as you get the advantage of the faster scope as well.

I would also suggest the FLO adapter as well. The reducer screws onto the end of the focusser tube of the scope, with the camera more or less locked to it, and it is difficult to rotate the camera without having to undo the locking ring and generally faff about - its a real pain in the dark! With the adapter you can simply undo the thumbscrew and rotate the whole unit - camera and reducer - which is much easier. A bonus is that the adapter allows you to screw filters onto the end of it - something you cannot do with the reducer alone.

It's best to use a field flattener/reducer designed for your scope since they are focal length/focal ratio specific. I use the Sky Watcher Equinox 120 flattener/reducer with fairly good results. The faster focal ratio is definately welcome in AP and the edge of field stars are much improved.

There's a bit of guiding drift in this 600s sub but it gives you an idea of what's possible with the SW Equinox 120 dedicated field flattener/reducer.

DSCF6344_1024.jpg

Archived