Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 2" light pollution filter is good value for money.?

Andy P

Hi all

I need a 2" light pollution filter and I'm not sure which one to get... I know I could get cheap to very expensive and I know the old saying you only get what you pay for but is this true on these filters.? Or does one filter best suite a certain setup.?

I'd love to hear both sides of the story to help make my purchase...

Thanks all in advance.

I have a Baader Neodymium and a IDAS LPS-P2. You get what you pay for is true for light pollution filters (until your council switch to those damn LED street light). The Baader produces a blue cast, whereas the IDAS is more neutral. Personally I found the IDAS more pleasant to use than the Baader.

However, there is a diminishing return for filters as well. I bought my IDAS used, but given the performance increase, I don't think I will be willing to pay an extra £70 to get the IDAS instead of the Baader.

Broadband filters works well for most scopes, but they are less effective on nebulae than narrow band filters.

Thanks Paul & Keith for your opinions and views.

I looked at one filter on the cheaper side " 2"Skywatcher " and in the advert it said that this was only recommended for use in scopes up to 114mm. Would this be the case for all 2" Filters.?

I'm wanting to use one in Astro work and i really don't mind spending the pennies if needed.

Weill, I have started with the 2" SW one too. To my, none expert, eyes it does the job brilliantly and many others say the same. As with most things, the extra cost of the more expensive ones buys you diminishing returns. Better for sure but six times better? My take is to get a feel of using the cheaper SW one first then move up later after more experience.

Rgds, Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only used one LP filter and this is the Baader Neodymium. Ironically, I don't use it as a light pollution filter at all (even though I have lots of LP). My main use is for lunar/planetary use as it provides excellent contract on even a full moon plus assists with detail on Jupiter and Mars in particular. I'd highly recommend it. buy used and save some money.

All filters block light out and therefore all are generally better in larger scopes. In a small refractor the benefit you will see is reduced and you may be better getting a filter with greater light pass just so you can still see at all.

I have a DGM Optics I got from the states and they get great reviews on cloudy nights but in my 100mm refractor the results have been variable (the skyglow is gone but the features of nebulas don't exactly jump out). I am witholding judgement though until I can try it in the 355mm Dob where it really should excel.

Regards

Stuart

Archived