Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Scope = Clouds

Hobbes

I had a very clear demonstration of the new scope = clouds phenomenon last night. Having brought a nearly new Tal 100RS on ebay – a scope I have been hankering after for a while now. I went to pick it up last night. The sky conditions were wonderful as I set out and I spent a bit of time chatting with the vendor before heading home with my new purchase. As it was only 11.30 when I got back and as the skies were crystal clear I decided that I needed to check the scope out, well it would be rude not to.

Out came the tool kit and on went a spare dovetail and the finder. Set up and align the mount and pop the scope on, balance it, fit the diagonal and realise that it is a 1.25” fitting and I have got the 2” barrel on my Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom.

Into the house to try and track the 1.25” barrel down without waking my wife and kids which takes about 15 mins. Swap the barrels and head back out to the garden to find that there is not a star to be seen. Horizon to horizon cloud in 15 minutes! So unfair!

And I'd like an EQ6 Mount, tube rings and a DSLR camera but that's life....

Yeah I consider myself pretty lucky with my kit, but I can tell you my economy is in a bit of trouble now between new scope, broken car and needing new glasses after getting a door in my face.

The positive thing is I have no missus at the moment so I guess my economy will recover :D

Archived