Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

JonnyK

Jupiter,first time with Barlow!

Really excited last night, managed to get the webcam and barlow working in harmony for the first time!Unfortunately dew was a massive problem for me last night, i'm thinking of using an old reptie heat mat round my dew shield to see if that helps. Anyway this is my first image with a 2X barlow (and x-box webcam on a mak 127)

post-22273-0-13424900-1353594906_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks like you got plenty of detail. Based on the position of Ganymede I think we were imaging at exactly the same time! lol

Thank's for the comments, really enjoyed it last nigh. Only managed 500 frames for this pic but i'm really pleased with it. I think it was about 21:30 ish this was taken, well whenever i'm a celebrity is on?left the wife watching that whilst I went out watching something far more meaningful!

Very nice to have caught Ganymede. Well done. More gain or a longer exposure might help you get some more colour. Did you record the settings you used for capture?

James

These are the settings I used.

[Video Camera ]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-4

Brightness=103

Contrast=32

Hue=0

Saturation=53

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=3146(Auto)

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=31

This is with sharpcap, for some reason my laptop wouldn't let me record anymore the 10fps which is odd (I did a load of updates recently and it seems to have had a negative impact on the laptop). I'll try for at least 1000 frames next time.

I'd definitely try experimenting with a bit more gain and/or a bit more saturation to see if that brings out more colour. I had the gain up around 50 for the Xbox camera images here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/168060-spc900-vs-xbox-live-webcam-vs-lifecam-cinema/

With some cameras in SharpCap there's some sort of interaction between the exposure length and frame rate that limits the frame rate (I think the exposure reading goes red when you couldn't maintain the frame rate at the set exposure length). I couldn't get more than 15fps out of it and maintain a decent image quality though. I think perhaps the camera isn't sensitive enough to handle the limited exposure lengths required at higher frame rates.

James

• Like 1

I like that image a lot. Loads of detail and the GRS. Works pretty good as b&w but follow James' advice for colour. He certainly knows his onions!

It was difficult last night with poor seeing and loads of dew, so you've produced a great images against the odds.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1