advice on using eq mount and gymnastics

next time i go out, I am really tempted to knock the latitude part of the eq mount on the head - return it to horizontal and not bother polar aligning the thing - then use it as a slightly complicated AZ mount instead.

This is one of the advantages of some eq mounts is that you can use them both ways. I have an eq mount which I use like this sometimes, sometimes I use it in eq. It depends what I'm looking for.

I've been concentrating on Jupiter recently so it's been in eq mode. I don't have a motor drive (and it doesn't interest me at the moment) but I use the wheel that the motor drive would normally drive to hand drive the scope. After a few goes I get no vibrations doing this now so good for planets.

I did the flipping round thing too. It took me a little while to realise that it would more comfortable that way sometimes!

I found it quite daunting at first trying to find stuff but after a bit of practice the equatorial axes sort of clicked in my head. Sometimes I find things as they are on the same declination as a easy to find star (or near enough) so i find the equatorial arrangment an advantage sometime. Try not to get too fustrated and try and enjoy your scope, even if you want to change it for something more to your liking later on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

next time i go out, I am really tempted to knock the latitude part of the eq mount on the head - return it to horizontal and not bother polar aligning the thing - then use it as a slightly complicated AZ mount instead.

I would love to strip down my EQ mount for my 90mm refrac and use it in the same manner. The counter weights on my EQ are stuck solid, but i can remove them easily enough. That will remove 5-6 Lbs from the weight.

I'd LOVE to use the scope as an Alt-Az. It is a 90mm refrac with 1000mm fl (f11). Its a planet killer.

Maybe i have just found a cloudy night project. I've wanted to do it for a long time.

wow, didnt know this would cause such an emotive conversation!!! Apologies to the admins etc who have had to read and moderate.

took it out again this morning so i could spend half an hour on saturn (never seen saturn in a proper scope before, only binos resting on a fence post) and it is very very nearly knocking jupiter off its top spot!!!

I decided to have another go at using the eq mount as it should be, polar aligned the mount and lined the ota up and then reset the dec and ra circles (they are lose...) and decided to not just point the scope at saturn, but to use SkEye to get the ra and dec and align it 'blind' so to speak.

It worked!!!! well hardly a surprise as thats what it supposed to do, but give me a break - first time i;ve got it to work proper! lined it up and peeked through the ep and there she was, just on the edge of FOV - so very nearly accurate!

gonna keep perservering - but as i said in my OP, at anything up to 50deg from horizontal i dont have problems. its just near to vertical its a twisty turny literal pain the next to get to the finder and the ota fouls the slo mo controls and stuff. Reason i was wanting to view near vertical is there is less atmospher to see through and also there are loads of interesting things to see in cassiepea!

Nick

You don't have to polar align as such for visual work, just roughly level the mount, set the altitude marker on the mount to your latitude, point the RA axis north and away you go. Once you're on a target then slight movements of the RA axis should keep it in the eyepiece. It's just practice really.

You don't have to polar align as such for visual work, just roughly level the mount, set the altitude marker on the mount to your latitude, point the RA axis north and away you go. Once you're on a target then slight movements of the RA axis should keep it in the eyepiece. It's just practice really.

Agreed. I just have the mount at 53 deg, use the spirit level to get it horizontal(ish), and point the mount north. Done! I never use setting circles, just a 16x70 right-angle correct-image finder I made (WAY better than the little 6x30).

Its not my fault either that people take my posts seriously. Anyone who knows me knows I am seldom ever serious about anything except tea.

Oh ok - I'll TRY and be a litte serious - heres some instant Zen guides to astronomy :)

4 vanes cross a tube- because of the hole we may use the scope.

Glass is formed into shape, because of the transparancy we may use the eyepiece.

Walls surround a pier - because of the door we may use the observatory.

Thus astro hardware comes from what exists.

But use from what does not.

When a wise man learns how to polar align he does it religiously.

When the experienced can polar align they do it sometimes.

When the fool tries to polar align - he laughs.

Those who do not laugh can not learn at all.

Archived