sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Well i woke up at 4am this morning went to the loo and then looked out the window, It is that point that i decided to get up and i made a pot of tea put on my hat and fingerless gloves and went out. The weird thing was i'd been dreaming again about astronomy, and its not the first time (does anyone else dream about it?) this time i dreamt about M81 and M82 in Ursa major... But anyway you already know where they are.

Sooo, this isn't why i decided to get up, it was purely because the sky looked good and i had heard on the weather that we where in for MORE rain... (just for a change i hear you say) So you have to make best of an opportunity, I thought i'd catch the end of the Leonids meteor shower, Incidentally i didn't see one lol. Well as i had dreamt about the M81 and M82 i thought i'd take a look so anyway there they where, Not very majestic through my 15x70s but always nice to see, I had always known that i can see M81 but i have never been sure about M82... But yes i can definitely see both. so that is it really having looked at the usual stuff and then the clouds rolling in at around 5am went inside and i thought i would share it with you... Not that your interested in some gump rattling on about something everyone as seen lol. If you have read this then i thank you, and i hope it wasn't too boring.... Hello...You still awake?...LOL. :rolleyes:

Hi Vince.

Wasn't awake then, but am now. Always nice to hear of folks getting some observing in, however short.

I always enjoy having a look at M81/82 even through binoculars so am glad you got to see them. The skies looked nice last night, even if it was a little windy down here.

Stu

• Like 1

I can get them in 10x50 and 15x50. Dark skies obviously help, as well as them being positioned a bit higher in the sky.

Having a good star hop to them worked out makes it much easier too. Very rewarding when you do find them.

Stu

• Like 1

Well done. I have never seen them in my 10 x 50's yet. Tried numerous times..... Maybe not trying hard enough.

Hi Kirkster... I don't know if i'd see M82 in 10x50s.. Its not bad through 15x70s though :smiley:

Yeah so far there pretty good. The 12mm gets used the most, 9mm can be a bit too strong at times. One issue with the 12mm is the rubber ring which forms the eye protection or whatever is loose. I think its more becuase of the caps are so damn tight, that if your not careful it just pulls off with it. It does no damage as its just rubber around it. Put a dab of superglue underneath it last time so hopefully that will keep it on. Or ive just superglued the cap onto my EP!!

Oops! lets hope not....I'm same, I don't like the high mag EPs. More for your planets i guess, and i don't look at those so much these days... I'm more into Clusters and Nebula's, But handy to have for when the mood arises :smiley:

Hi Matt... yeah they are beautiful aren't they... M35 in Gemini is a nice easy one to spot, i think at the moment i look at it every time i'm out along with M44 in Cancer and then up to Auriga for M36 M37 and M38.. But i always end at Pleides lol... I must confess i've not looked at M11 in ages.... Isn't it a bit low on the horizon now?.. I don't know lol. :smiley:

I've seen M51 the whirlpool galaxy in 15 X 70's under fairly light-polluted skies. I was surprised because it's not particularly bright in an 8 inch reflector.

That is good going Alan... I've tried that one in my bins without success as of yet. I Salute you Alan :icon_salut: