Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Stargazer! :)

Adam144

Hey all!

I'm Adam, just joined up recently having been lurking for a while trying to read up on a good first 'scope to pick!

Had a pretty revolutionary moment a few months ago when my brother introduced me to Carl Sagan's Cosmos, giving me a love of astronomy I never expected! Every clear night I'm able to, I'm out there with my 10x50 binocs, checking out the obvious ones, Jupiter, the Moon, Pleiades, and even managed to catch a few glimpses of M31, although never for long because it's always directly above me and it kills my neck! :D

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Skywatcher Explorer 130P, which I just ordered today after going through tons of forum topics and seeing plenty of posts saying this one is excellent for my budget! Hopefully arrives on Friday and have checked with the Met Office app on my phone, the skies will hopefully be clear for a nice long viewing session :D

Anyway, look forward to posting and interacting with the community here, seems like an awesome place!

Cheers!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL mate, I'v got the Skywatcher 130m, yours is the parabolic version which gives a slightly clearer image the mine (so iv heard), I'm more than happy with mine, so your in for some very good views, Jupiter in mine is beautiful at the moment..........Good luck!! :smiley:

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. Might want to take a look at a free piece of planetarium "Stellarium" which will help you find and identify objects in the night sky, you read about it here. Lots of features on it it to help you plan your evening observation session, including an advance date/time feature that allows you to advance the night sky to see what's coming up next.

Clear skies

James

Thanks all for the warm welcomes!

According to the tracking on City Link's website, my telescope is still on schedule for delivery tomorrow! All being well, I'll have some nice clear skies tomorrow night after work where I can chill (quite literally, I fear!) outside and hopefully spot lots of nice things :)

I will for sure keep a kinda mini-journal about my first time with the scope and post it up in the appropriate section :D

JamesM, thanks for the introduction to Stellarium - a fantastic piece of software! Great to know that even if it's cloudy as hell outside I can still keep track of stuff in real time :) Cheers!

Archived