stargazine_ep44_banner.thumb.jpg.6153c4d39ed5a64b7d8af2d3d6061f61.jpg

OH! Hello there!

Hey guys and girls, my name is Brandon!

I love astronomy and science - basically love the unknown, haha. I simply love to look at the night sky through binoculars, particularly the moon and Jupiter this time of the year... I am quite the 'noob' when it comes to navigating the sky and finding different points of interest however, but hope to expand my knowledge through the use of the program named 'Stellarium', these forums and the internet haha.

Soon, I am hoping to purchase my first telescope. :D

For anyone who is interested in what I have chosen for my first telescope (as I am essentially a beginner...):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

• Like 3
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys and girls, my name is Brandon! I love astronomy and science - basically love the unknown, haha. I simply love to look at the night sky through binoculars, particularly the moon and Jupiter th

Thank you for the welcomes guys!

Welcome aboard Brandon,

A good choice with the scope, enjoy!

Clear nights ahoy

I found this scope to be the most appealing... Though, I am not sure I should be choosing a scope if I do not even know the difference between refractor and reflector. Haha!

I am quite the noob when it comes to this alas. Wish I wasn't, but everyone has to start somewhere I guess... Would you be able to tell me if I could see M31 with the scope I have chosen? I particularly wish to witness Andromeda in all it's beauty, as well as Orions belt and the planets within our solar system!

Thank you for that information Steve.

I haven't managed to spot ole' Orion (or the smudge that is M31) with just my beginners eyes, but I am sure learning the sky will allow me to see a lot more... Oh, and I will have to go to my local woods soon to enjoy the sky more with less light pollution.

With that said, goodnight!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good choice of scope and many members here have the very same kit and would recommend it. Stellarium is a very useful bit of kit and the advance date/time feature is really useful too if you want to see what coming up! I would also recommend a book, "Turn Left at Orion" which lists a great amny objects for you to find whilst aklso supplying you the maps and guidance on how to find them. It is a book that is designed for those with binoculars and smaller aperture scopes and is very comprehensive if the information and guidance it offers those starting out. Be sure to buy the edition with the spiral bound back as it includes a new section on dobsonian scopes.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hm...

I am wondering, if I would be able to begin astrophotography with the scope I have chosen? I know I should really wait until I am familiar with the scope, and especially the sky... However, i don't wish to get the 'best' pictures, as I don't even have an amazing camera. (It's a point and shoot... Samsung PL211) I just want to put the camera to the lens and get a picture of say the Moon... I would love to do that!

Thanks again!