Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
kev49

Suggestions for a beginners CCD camera please

Hi, I am looking for the best option for a CCD camera . Being relatively new to AP, I wanted to know what your thoughts are on affordable(?) imagers are as regards planetary imaging.

Thanks, Kevin.

The Imaging Source cameras are pretty much the "standard". Newer Cams are appearing that offer some advantages, such as the Ximea cams. QHY also do some (IMG), some of which use the same chips as TIS cameras.

What sort of budget do you have? Mono or colour?

Hi, well only a small budget. I'm not sure about the difference between colour and mono for a start, sounds simple, but is it as straightforward as it sounds? I have seen a Lunar/planetary imager on the Modern astronomy website for £99, but have no idea what they are like?

Kevin.

The MA one looks like a re-packaged webcam. It will work fine, and as good as anything to start off.

You can do it cheaper though. A Microsoft Lifecam can be had and modified for about £30. There's threads on here where guys'n'girls have modified cheaper (like £5 ASDA webcams) and are getting some decent results. The vast majority of these cams will be colour.

These were taken with a modified Microsoft Lifecam:

ecfb7c29.jpg

78f5a285.jpg

What scope are you using?

If you've never played with imaging, then just mod a webcam. Cheap as chips, you will learn loads and have a blast.