Uranus

Rustmonkey

Lookng at this thread all I see is Jupiter, Jupiter, Jupiter which is understandable at the moment so I thought I'd throw something different in the mix i.e. URANUS.

Took this the other night. I know its not the most spectacular of our near neighbours due to its distance from us but it was nice to get not only my first image of it but also my first actual view of it. This goes in the collection and is another one to tick off :happydance2:

Uranus.jpg

Nice. I did some imaging of Uranus and Neptune earlier in the summer, and was pleasantly surprised to see I'd captured a number of the moons of each planet too. Especially surprised at catching some of the Moons of Neptune considering its distance from us. Over a few nights in August and September, it was great to catch them in different positions to show they were actually orbiting. Worlds orbiting worlds, at the edge of our solar system, and yet, really just on our doorstep in the grand scheme of things.

..... I would also love to see more images of those two especially if they have moons visable

!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but since we all have an interest in these two, here's a couple of my DSLR images. They don't show quite as well in the reduced size uploaded images.

Uranus

uranus2.jpg

Neptune

neptune1.jpg

Indeed, it's good to see images of these outer planets and moons.

However, I think you are mistaken with the fainter Neptunian moons. Capturing a 23rd-magnitude object with 30s subs on a DSLR really would be something, particularly given its low altitude! I have tried to capture 19th magnitude Nereid with my SXVF-H9 CCD and f/4.7 scope to no avail.

The positions all matched up with the stars and moons shown on Stellarium, so I have no reason to think otherwise. I think they were 30 second subs, but they may have been longer. They were taken several months ago, so can't be sure of the exact details.

Archived