Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

bluesman81

Colimator

Just picked up my copy of the sky at night and there is a how to on building your own colimator out of a few household items....

All very Blue peter-ish, so I think I may have to try it.... :police:

I havn't opened my copy yet, forgot all about. Thanks for the reminder.

"First remove the laser from an old CD player. Please ask a grown up first before you dismantle the one in the sitting room. Here's one I took apart earlier."

James

"First remove the laser from an old CD player. Please ask a grown up first before you dismantle the one in the sitting room. Here's one I took apart earlier."

James

This one is made from a tube from a roll of tin foil, milk bottle top, black paint, two hat pins, some shiny card and some electrical insulating tape. No lasers in sight. But when you start collimating, thats when you need the grown-up on hand....

BTW, i've just made it and it seems to work...................

And exactly who, in this day and age, has hat pins lying about? I know quite a few people get into astronomy when they retire, but these days I bet quite a few pensioners would struggle to recall the last time they saw a hat pin.

James

I just made mine. I did a bit more measuring than the guide suggested, using slightly different tools (a stanley knife blade was handy). Instead of a milk bottle cap it's a cut down 35 mm film canister and instead of hat pins I used white thread. I didn't have any shiny card so I stuck some foil onto sellotape and used that. It seems to work for me too and should last until I buy a FLO red one.