SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Annoying Lights at Night!!!!!!

bluesman81

Does anyone have any of those neighbours that, at this time of year, like to put up 10 million lights on their roof, in their front garden etc and turn night into a permanent day??? If so, how do you deal with it?????

Reason I ask is i am just watching my neighbour installing such things. Its like a scene from 'Christmas Vacation' LOL....

On a plus point, in Dorset, it is supposed to be clear Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun nights....

:lol:

Luckily, I haven't got any directly near me, they all seem to be a few streets away (well, touch wood, as they have been every other christmas so far).

However, I have new battles this time of year.

This is my first winter of astronomy (I bought my scope in April), and now the trees have all shed their leaves it has become apparent that there are about 4 streetlights that shine through into my face depending on where I am in the garden, and I can't escape any out without lying on the floor :lol:

and this is after all the trouble I went to getting the council to put a shield on the back of the streetlight that was shining into the garden all year. So, that problem is solved, but I now have 4 more to contend with!

Sigh :p

They aren't going to leave them on all all night are they ?

They might - I had a neighbour whose security light came on at dusk and off at dawn, it can be a real pain. Have you mentioned to them that you are as astronomer? Ask them if they would like to come and view through your scope - that can sometime work as it gives you the opportunity of talking to them sensibly about their lights without getting in an argument.

They aren't going to leave them on all all night are they ?

Surely not, we are in a Recession after all.

Pop round, be polite and kindly ask them to switch off their lights when they go to bed. If they refuse remind them of the additional energy costs and potential fire hazards associated..... they won't be able to sleep at night!

Sigh. A permanent problem for me. Long story -> Short: I had previous dark skies in my garden, with fantastic Milky Way now bleached out with all-season LED ornamental 'trees'. No sympathy from the neighbours and I don't want to challenge it as I want to live a peaceful life. I had it good for several years...I wish I knew then what I know now..

I had recently discovered the art of taking the scope to a remote place recently and I promise you, it's far less hassle than setting up in a garden that is lit by neighbourly lights & cars going by (an observer's point of view). A few excellent nights a year is far better than dozens of frustrating nights in the garden. I love the peace and quiet of a dark site, no interruptions....sigh. I recently spoke to most of the land owners round here who have kindly given me permission to observe on their properties such as car parks, private roads, even access to fields.... "Now you mind the cows as they'll try and eat yer 'scope!"

Some wise individual on SGL gave the excellent advice of studying brighter objects in the garden, such as Lunar, planets and double stars - leaving the DSO hunting (my main passion) for darker, remote skies. So far it has worked well for me.

You either adapt or tackle it head on. (with a little diplomacy...)

When my ship comes in I'll know where to buy my next property.. :D

Sigh. A permanent problem for me. Long story -> Short: I had previous dark skies in my garden, with fantastic Milky Way now bleached out with all-season LED ornamental 'trees'. No sympathy from the neighbours and I don't want to challenge it as I want to live a peaceful life. I had it good for several years...I wish I knew then what I know now..

I had recently discovered the art of taking the scope to a remote place recently and I promise you, it's far less hassle than setting up in a garden that is lit by neighbourly lights & cars going by (an observer's point of view). A few excellent nights a year is far better than dozens of frustrating nights in the garden. I love the peace and quiet of a dark site, no interruptions....sigh. I recently spoke to most of the land owners round here who have kindly given me permission to observe on their properties such as car parks, private roads, even access to fields.... "Now you mind the cows as they'll try and eat yer 'scope!"

Some wise individual on SGL gave the excellent advice of studying brighter objects in the garden, such as Lunar, planets and double stars - leaving the DSO hunting (my main passion) for darker, remote skies. So far it has worked well for me.

You either adapt or tackle it head on. (with a little diplomacy...)

When my ship comes in I'll know where to buy my next property.. :D

Yes, DSO's are my thing at the mo. We used to live in a house in the country with no neighbours or even street lights. I had an observatory in the back garden as well!!!!!!

My inconsiderate wife and children got fed up living in the middle of nowhere, so we have moved to a more suburban area, where there are bus routes and civilisation etc. Now the obsy is flat packed in the garage and I take the scope out and set up each time. I have found a lovely dark sky area in the new forest and tend to go there on a friday and saturday night weather and clouds permitting...

I've got the same problem with street lights and they are on all night. My solution (Temporary) is crude but seems to work. I hang some sheets over a washing line.

Streetlights-1half.jpg

Streetlights-2half.jpg

(I told you it was crude :rolleyes: )

LOL, i love you solution. Washing lines and windbreaks are good for something then.........

I was working in Darlington today, setting off for home I passed the first lit up 'Christmas House' encountered this year (couldn't miss it). I dont know if these things operate on LEDs but apart from the obvious issues, how can they afford it!

I've got the same problem with street lights and they are on all night. My solution (Temporary) is crude but seems to work. I hang some sheets over a washing line.

Streetlights-1half.jpg

Streetlights-2half.jpg

(I told you it was crude :rolleyes: )

I tried the same thing by hanging tarpaulin from the washing line.

Could I ask how you stop the sheets flapping around in the wind? Have you got them pegged into the ground?

I tried that with the tarpaulin I used, but even a slight breeze still pulled the pegs out.

I'd be interested to know how they stay where they should be! :)

I tried the same thing by hanging tarpaulin from the washing line.

Could I ask how you stop the sheets flapping around in the wind? Have you got them pegged into the ground?

I tried that with the tarpaulin I used, but even a slight breeze still pulled the pegs out.

I'd be interested to know how they stay where they should be! :)

I have done this in the past, to stop the flapping about I bought some sand and cement and made some loops out of steel rod, bent this over into a Bucket and half filled the bucket with a wet sand/cement mix (4/1 ratio). Once dried, tipped it out....the bent steel loop is a convenient way to secure a sheet with a carabiner...this stops even the most determined winds ineffective if you use about three per sheet (I used one per meter). If the wind is strong enough to move the sheets then you likely don't want to be out in it anyway.

I know your pain.... I only have neighbours to one side and they are very reasonable but there is a small car park to the other side and the street light had been broken for years. Then I get a telescope and they fix the light !! £2000+ of equipment that is now ruined for use in my own garden.

Archived