Another new member!

Sobel

Well, I've been registered on here for a little while, and only posted twice elsewhere, to which I received some amazing advice. So just wanted to say hello and thank you to all who have helped so far.

So I'm from Lancashire, currently living near Bury and between myself and my dad, we've just treated ourselves to our very first telescope. As usual, budgets went out the window and we ended buying based on what we wanted out of the scope, which turned out to be an all rounder, suited to most tasks, visual only, easy to setup and use, easy to store and the potential to use in terrestrial viewing.

So with that in mind we bought a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

nvnku9.jpg

We also bought a few eyepieces to get us started

atn3gy.jpg

And finally a few miscellaneous items to finish it off including the most important purchase, a Leifheit ironing stool thingy.

10ncd1e.jpg

We ordered most of it from First Light Optics who were amazing, the site is my favourite, extremely friendly to navigate and the communications were excellent, we were immediately informed of a backorder on one of the items and the tracking information from fedex iirc was massively helpful.

Additionally, I ordered some items from Telescope house via Amazon, again extremely efficient order and delivered very quickly.

Will hopefully be able to go to Bolton Astronomy Society in the new year as well to gain more first hand experience, in the mean time I'm eagerly awaiting a clear night to try it out! There's only so many seagulls you can look at at 81X magnification before you long to see Jupiter or a Globular Cluster.

Next thing is a replacement finder, the default reflex? site isn't the best, so probably a new Telrad in the new year and maybe one day a focal reducer, one thing we do want to see one day is the pleiades. I've been using http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm to see how FOV changes. Am I right in saying that at f/10 (2032 FL / 203.2 Aperture) the FOV is fairly narrow, but with the 6.3 reducer on, does this in effect turn the focal length of the scope to around 1280mm so f6.3 (1280 FL / 203.2 Aperture) and as such giving lower mag and higher FOV, enough to fit M45 into the eyepiece of a 32mm Plossl?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks so far for the advice!

Booked a week off work next week, so fingers crossed for at least one clear night, just a shame it's getting towards the full moon, hopefully we can catch it in the gibbous phase.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting you new scope and I am sure you will not be disappointed with the views. Great idea joining an astro club for additional advice and support, particularly if they enthusiastic on outreach work and public observations. Might be worth having a look at the communities section to see if there is a local observation groups run by members here,

Clear skies for your holiday and enjoy the moon - it's a great target and I can recommend that you download a useful visual moon map to help locate features of interest, its called "Nearside Spectacular" and you can view it here.

James

A big welcome to SGL all the way from bulgaria. That is some first scope, my first was a 3 inch refractor from Dixons, I thought it was the biggest telescope on earth, it is still working fine 35 years later. Wonder what they knew then that they have now forgotten about making things.

Enjoy the site there are none better.

Alan.

Archived